poli bushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poli bushing

im going to change the worn out bushing in all the suspension .

i did a search and as far as i see,poli bushings comes in a complete kit.
    and are more cheap then the original bushings.
    are they good ?? they say it controls your ride better.
    any input is apriciated.

Re: poli bushing

I've still got stock, but the idea is that polyurethane bushings are more ridged giving a higher spring rate to the suspension and a tighter response and a more ridged throttle response by reducing engine rotation. The down side (from what I understand) is that they transfer every vibration from the road and motor, can squeak and require a greasing now and then, specially in colder climates. A quick search is bound to give you some things to ponder...

Comment

Originally posted by landj View Post
      I've still got stock, but the idea is that polyurethane bushings are more ridged giving a higher spring rate to the suspension and a tighter response and a more ridged throttle response by reducing engine rotation. The down side (from what I understand) is that they transfer every vibration from the road and motor, can squeak and require a greasing now and then, specially in colder climates. A quick search is bound to give you some things to ponder...
      thanks for the reply,,very useful

Comment

If you're looking at the complete kit from Energy suspension, I will warn you that it's a pretty tough kit to install. The front A-Arm bushings in particular are a pain in the butt. I installed this on a 98 Camaro with pretty low miles and I had a hell of a time getting the old bushings out. I actually had to take a torch to some of them and burn them out. You'll also need an alignment immediately after removing/installing the a-arms.
        -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

How about buying em individually? I'm planning on doing some suspension upgrades that come with bushings so I won't need them on those components...

Comment

I'm pretty sure energy suspension sells everything individually as well.

With that being said, I've dealt with a few different brands of poly bushings for f-bodies and other vehicles. In my experience, Prothane brand parts seem to be better quality than Energy suspension. So if I were to recommend one, I would definately recommend Prothane over Energy Suspension. The only drawback is they don't make quite as many parts for Fbodies I don't think.
            Last edited by Skinny; 07-21-2008, 02:11 PM.
            -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

as far im looking under the car,i see that the control arm bushings are worn out,,the others seem fine,,but should i change all of them???

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4orNothing View Post
                as far im looking under the car,i see that the control arm bushings are worn out,,the others seem fine,,but should i change all of them???
                If it's the rear control arm bushings, I would just replace those (or upgrade to an aftermarket control arm). If it's the front control arms (or A-arms) then there are alot of bushings you can go ahead and do while they are out. There are two bushings on each lower and upper front control arm.

Comment

If you're going to upgrade to an aftermarket LCA and still want poly, I recommend getting the three piece poly ball bushings. They'll give you the benefits of poly without the binding problems.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Bonemaro View Post
                    If you're going to upgrade to an aftermarket LCA and still want poly, I recommend getting the three piece poly ball bushings. They'll give you the benefits of poly without the binding problems.
                    binding problems?

Comment

Yeah. When cornering, poly will not flex in the LCAs like rubber. This flex needs to go somewhere, so it puts forces on the control arms and mounting points and I'm sure has adverse affects on tractor and such. The three piece setup allows the bushing to flex a bit to relieve the binding... like a hymes joint.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                        If it's the rear control arm bushings, I would just replace those (or upgrade to an aftermarket control arm). If it's the front control arms (or A-arms) then there are alot of bushings you can go ahead and do while they are out. There are two bushings on each lower and upper front control arm.
                        its the front control arm,,,yes , i see 2 up and 2 lower bushing,,they are worn out,,the rest seem ok,,,but are they worth changing to poly??

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4orNothing View Post
                          its the front control arm,,,yes , i see 2 up and 2 lower bushing,,they are worn out,,the rest seem ok,,,but are they worth changing to poly??
                          To be honest it depends on what your plans are with the car. If it's a daily driver and used only as that, then I wouldn't suggest doing it. Of course everyone wants more performance/handling, but unless you really want to get aggressive with it, you won't ever really see the benifits of going to a poly bushing on the front. Even at that point, you would probably be better off going to an aftermarket control arm anyway. Also, as I mentioned before, it really is a pain in the butt to do. I ended up using both a press and an acetylene torch to get the job done.

Comment

just thought I'd throw this in, before putting poly bushings throughout your car you might want do do some research on why they aren't the best material to make a bushing out of, basically under pressure and stress they can deform and not return to their original shape/size like rubber does.
                            It's your car and do what you like but in my limited experience with polyurethane bushings I have seen them deform and that can be worse or even more dangerous than a worn rubber bushing (to a point).
                            -Brad
                            98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
                            2000 V-Star Custom 1100
                            If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
                            :rock:

Comment

guys,,,i just bought the rubber original ones,,,seem like poly is a pain in the butt,,, thanx for your input

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X