Road Trip maintenance/repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Trip maintenance/repair

Thinking about taking a 1600 mile road trip with the GF and my daughter next month, from WA to NE and back. I'm looking at getting some minor things fixed beforehand. Working on some things already, like A/C (which hasn't worked in 3 years and might require a new condenser if a recharge doesn't do it) and replacing the O2 sensor to hopefully get rid of the code.

Wondering what else I can do myself. The cooling system hasn't been flushed since I've owned it (5 years) so that's on my list. New plugs/wires went in a couple months ago, new battery last year, K&N filter a couple years ago. I know it has a small oil leak somewhere (rear main maybe?). 1-2 quarts low every oil change and just switched to synthetic, so hopefully that doesn't increase. How do I figure out where it's leaking?

Manual tranny hasn't been looked at in 5 years either and maybe never with 83k miles on the car. Heard different things about flushing it at this age. Any opinions on that?

Never any major problems in 5 years with the car, but just want to make sure everything is in good shape for a long trip. Any answers/advice much appreciated.
    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2182744\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2182744</a> <br /><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">I\'ll procrastinate later...</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Re: Road Trip maintenance/repair

I think you've got a good list to start with right there.
    Flush that coolant, easy and it sounds like you are due.
    Clean and recharge that K&N if you haven't already.
    O2 sensors sound like a good investment.
    I wouldn't worry if the leak is small, but the easiest way to find out where the leak is coming from is to clean the engine and get under and examine it after driving around for a little bit.
    AC system would be low on my list of things to do, even doing yourself is going to take a weekend an a wad of cash, a recharge is worth a try.

Bring along 2 or 3 quarts of oil on your trip and check it every time you fill up. (I'm asuming that will be around every 400 miles or so).

Comment

Originally posted by landj View Post
      I think you've got a good list to start with right there.
      Flush that coolant, easy and it sounds like you are due.
      Clean and recharge that K&N if you haven't already.
      O2 sensors sound like a good investment.
      I wouldn't worry if the leak is small, but the easiest way to find out where the leak is coming from is to clean the engine and get under and examine it after driving around for a little bit.
      AC system would be low on my list of things to do, even doing yourself is going to take a weekend an a wad of cash, a recharge is worth a try.

Bring along 2 or 3 quarts of oil on your trip and check it every time you fill up. (I'm asuming that will be around every 400 miles or so).
      Thanks! A good engine scrub is something I've been wanting to do for a while. Lots of dust in there. How do you go about covering up electrical parts? Plastic bags and duct tape?

With the A/C, I'm worried about going across Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota and Nebraska in August without cooking ourselves. I have T-tops, but probably not coming off with the car loaded with luggage for 3 people.
      <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2182744\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2182744</a> <br /><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">I\'ll procrastinate later...</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Comment

A trans flush is maintenance for an automatic. You can make sure it is full by pulling the check plug out of the side of the trans. Its hard to do w/out a lift though. Chances are that the fluid is fine. I am not aware of a service interval for a manual trans.

Comment

Originally posted by Saxis View Post
          How do you go about covering up electrical parts? Plastic bags and duct tape?
          Exactly (rubber bands work fine too). Just be careful with the hose, run a search on engine de-greasing or detailing and you'll find a couple "how-to's." You can alternatively buy UV oil additive to put in the oil and then use a blacklight to find the leak, but that will cost a little bit more, and what's the fun looking for glowing grease with a party light?

I like the engine de-greaser in a spray can, nice foamy stuff. Mean Green or Grease Lightening works too, but don't let it sit on paint or aluminum too long. A couple of nice stiff cheap paint brushes work well for scrubbing.

Comment

Originally posted by techsan23 View Post
            A trans flush is maintenance for an automatic. You can make sure it is full by pulling the check plug out of the side of the trans. Its hard to do w/out a lift though. Chances are that the fluid is fine. I am not aware of a service interval for a manual trans.
            Thanks. I'll probably leave this alone for the trip then. Never had any problems so far...

Originally posted by landj View Post
            Exactly (rubber bands work fine too). Just be careful with the hose, run a search on engine de-greasing or detailing and you'll find a couple "how-to's." You can alternatively buy UV oil additive to put in the oil and then use a blacklight to find the leak, but that will cost a little bit more, and what's the fun looking for glowing grease with a party light?

I like the engine de-greaser in a spray can, nice foamy stuff. Mean Green or Grease Lightening works too, but don't let it sit on paint or aluminum too long. A couple of nice stiff cheap paint brushes work well for scrubbing.
            Yeah, I got a can of the foaming de-greaser lying around. Would it be beneficial to take it to a self car wash to use the high pressure water? Like I said, lots of dust that I'm sure is stuck on.

A/C update: Seems I'm a lucky SOB. I bought 2 cans of R134a with sealant the other day, and my boss brought in his gauges. We charged the system and it's working pretty good. Brought the low pressure up to about 40 and the high pressure to 175. His gauge said full is 56 to around 65 or something, so it could probably use another can. Thermometer showed the air temp at 49F. :banana:

Comment

just to warn ya. if the ac system is empty and you had to recharge it, expect it to go out again. you never know how long itll last but if there wasnt any in there, you have a leak. so yeah it might work for youre whole trip, but if ac is important to you, have it leak tested.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlak121 View Post
                just to warn ya. if the ac system is empty and you had to recharge it, expect it to go out again. you never know how long itll last but if there wasnt any in there, you have a leak. so yeah it might work for youre whole trip, but if ac is important to you, have it leak tested.
                Yeah, I used R124a with leak sealant, just to see if I could do a cheap fix first. At least I know what the problem is; just have to figure out where now.

Anyone know what the low/high pressure should be for the A/C system?

Comment

I believe the High side should be 195 to 235psi and the Low side 15 to 38psi. Be aware that the seals around the compressor shaft tend to go bad. I am in the process of changing that and the accumulator out. GL on your trip !

Comment

you can flush a manual tranny at any mileage as long as when you drain it there are limited to no metal flakes in it

if there are, DO NOT put new fluid in, put the old fluid back into it.. i know this sounds crazy but trust me on that one

Comment

Originally posted by KennyD View Post
                      I believe the High side should be 195 to 235psi and the Low side 15 to 38psi. Be aware that the seals around the compressor shaft tend to go bad. I am in the process of changing that and the accumulator out. GL on your trip !
                      Well, I've definitely got a leak somewhere. A/C was dry again after about a week and blowing hot air again. Need to figure out where the leak is but that sounds like a good place to check first. Are those seals hard to change out?

Comment

Once those internal seals go, its time for a new compressor. I was told you cant change those out. Mine went, and the system would leak down over night. Dont confuse the internal compressor seals with the ones on the back of the compressor.

Comment

Originally posted by Saxis View Post
                          Well, I've definitely got a leak somewhere. A/C was dry again after about a week and blowing hot air again. Need to figure out where the leak is but that sounds like a good place to check first. Are those seals hard to change out?
                          most old compressors leak at the clutch.. thats where both of mine are/were leaking

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X