Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil filter question

Hi Folks,

I'm running Mobil 1 10W-30 and an AC pf47 [I think] filter right now. No problems.

I'm curious if there is a larger [longer] AC filter that will fit correctly in my car instead of that little Dixie-cup sized thing. I'm not sure if something would get in the way of a longer filter, like the stabilizer bar.

Thanks for any suggestions. I want to extend my oil change interval to 5,000 miles with synthetic oil and a good filter. The filter part is the thing that makes me nervous about it.
    \'00 f-bird 3.8 M5 coupe, pewter metallic<br />Torsen LSD, Pro 5.0 shifter, Spec stage 1 clutch, Y87 muffler, aftermarket stereo<br />-more fun than the Oldsmobile it replaced...

i think you could use the 4.3 oil filters but not sure
    1999 Firebird 3.8 Chamelon<br /><br />MagnaFlow Catback<br /><br />Devon

Comment

I use the AC Delco PF52. It's bigger in size than the PF47 and fits nicely.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyman:
        I use the AC Delco PF52. It's bigger in size than the PF47 and fits nicely.
        Yea i did a post about these filters, and some pics to go along with it, same for both cars..
        New:04 GMC Sierra 1500 RCLB 4x4 5.3 GU80 3.73\'s.<br />Truck pics<br />Mods<br />Go fast: Panel K&N filter and soon SS truck catback.<br />Appearance: Stull Billet grill,Weston Chrome step tubes,Rhino Chrome hitch step,ARE painted fiberglass cover,Silver star lighting.

Comment

http://www.camarov6.com/ubb/ultimate...c;f=1;t=012957
          New:04 GMC Sierra 1500 RCLB 4x4 5.3 GU80 3.73\'s.<br />Truck pics<br />Mods<br />Go fast: Panel K&N filter and soon SS truck catback.<br />Appearance: Stull Billet grill,Weston Chrome step tubes,Rhino Chrome hitch step,ARE painted fiberglass cover,Silver star lighting.

Comment

thanks everyone for the answer.
            \'00 f-bird 3.8 M5 coupe, pewter metallic<br />Torsen LSD, Pro 5.0 shifter, Spec stage 1 clutch, Y87 muffler, aftermarket stereo<br />-more fun than the Oldsmobile it replaced...

Comment

I use this larger one also, mainly cause i had a 4.3L s-10 and had some left over from it. they work great. If you need the actual part number, just use the booklet they have by the filters, and look up the filter number for a 1995 Chevy S-10 4.3L pickup

Comment

PF52 is the longer filter. It's a lame idea if you're doing it for more protection, since they filter the same. Also I like more oil in my engine, not my filter where it is not protecting parts.

I did it a couple times for the convenience of being able to use the full 5 quarts instead of having half a quart left over every time.
                <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

Man I got this performance oil filter it gave me 40rwhp and flowed like a champ.... or I paid $400 on it and couldn't tell a difference between it and a $5 FRAM filter :rolleyes:
                  00\' firebird v6 5spd<br />201rwhp ---- 230 rwtq<br />\"Everyday I grow stronger...and further from you.\"<br />WARNING: Do not take any of my comments seriously unless they are technical in nature and then only at your own risk

Comment

Originally posted by OneQuickV6:
                    PF52 is the longer filter. It's a lame idea if you're doing it for more protection, since they filter the same. Also I like more oil in my engine, not my filter where it is not protecting parts.
                    Well, I think it like this: Higher flow rate (lower pressure drop) for the same particle filtration ability. Or get an oversize filter with smaller pore size, and get finer filtration for the same flow rate and pressure drop.

I like either option. More filter surface area = slower loading of the media as well.

-Jeff
                    Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
                    Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

i like K&N oil filters :D
                      www.turbov6camaro.com
                      1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                      4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                      7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                      11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

zlexxis and onequick,

Both of you are reading my mind. The convenience of putting in all five quarts + more available filter media was what I was thinking. You ok with the idea of 5,000 mile intervals unless I'm overruled by the "change oil" light?

ReodDai, forget the HP oil filter-- I don't see any performance enhancing stickers in your mods list, though. c'mon... I thought you were the educated type here! You could try putting a "neuspeed" sticker on your oil filter. That would definitely pull away some power-robbing heat.

Comment

Actually before Venom sent me a very nasty e-mail telling me to leave them alone and they don't plan on ever making a computerized nitrous kit for my car, I did have a Venom sticker lol.
                          00\' firebird v6 5spd<br />201rwhp ---- 230 rwtq<br />\"Everyday I grow stronger...and further from you.\"<br />WARNING: Do not take any of my comments seriously unless they are technical in nature and then only at your own risk

Comment

I still do not recommend over 3000 mile intervals, even with the best filter and oil available.

BUT, some of that is because I sell motors to people that have tried to save a couple bucks and either not replaced their weak oil pumps, or have not maintained their vehicle properly. A few extra bucks every 3 months is ALOT cheaper than a new motor.
                            <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

Run a full 5quarts with the PF52 big filter.
                              2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                              Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                                by ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                                1 week ago
                              • RPDRed6
                                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                                by RPDRed6
                                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • ssms5411
                                No start problem
                                by ssms5411
                                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X