X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a bad Starter?

Hey Everyone

Here's my new problem:

When I leave the car sitting for more than a half n' hour, I go to start it, and it cranks about 8 times until it finally turns and struggles to start (but it does start). The car runs perfectly fine during driving. And if I park it and shut it off to get gas or stop in the store, when i go to turn it back on it starts perfectly normal.

This just started happening recently, and today I put some fuel additive in there to maybe clean out the lines. So does this sound like it's a bad starter? Or should i take the car to Jiffy Lube and have them do a full fuel system flush? Thanks!

Re: Is it a bad Starter?

Sounds like the fuel lines to me. If you haven't changed the fuel filter in awhile do that since it's cheap and easy to do. After that, look towards the pump for replacing. BTW, as I've told many before.. Don't try to crank it right off the bat. Just turn the key to the ON position to let it build up some pressure. This is just a band-aid until you get the real problem fixed.

Also, if your car is cranking at all the problem is not your starter. Your starter is separate from the fuel system. It just spins the flywheel when you crank it.
    Last edited by Blizzard242; 07-28-2008, 09:42 PM.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

One of my other buddies suggested the same thing. I'll definitely try that tomorrow morning. However if I do need to change the fuel filter/pump, is there a guide on these forums on how to do it or what it looks like?

I did a few searches but no luck. Thanks again

Comment

The filter is easy, you just have to relieve the pressure in your lines.. which in your case sounds like it does it pretty quickly by itself.. Pinch one end to remove the line and the other end comes off with a wrench. Installation is reverse. The fuel pump is definitely more difficult to do. I have a feeling though that it's your filter. If you need help anymore past that.. someone here will point you in the right direction.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Is it the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) that keeps the pressure up though? If that is dying, then that would explain why it takes so long to start. Once the pressure builds back up, then it runs fine. But shut it off, and it takes about 30 mins to leak back down. You can check for a bad FPR by pulling the vacuum line, and if there is gas in the line, then it's definitely bad.
          2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

well if your engine is turning then its not the starter

people need to understand that all a starter does is spin the engine, if your engine is spinning, then the starter isnt the problem.. unless of course the engine is spinning very slowly, but that still leaks me to believe its something not related to the starter

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Bell View Post
              Is it the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) that keeps the pressure up though? If that is dying, then that would explain why it takes so long to start. Once the pressure builds back up, then it runs fine. But shut it off, and it takes about 30 mins to leak back down. You can check for a bad FPR by pulling the vacuum line, and if there is gas in the line, then it's definitely bad.
              Ya know.. son of a *****.. no one has ever really explained what a fuel pressure regulator really does. I only thought it let a certain amount of fuel flow to the rail. I'm looking around for a good explanation but I can't entirely find one.

From what I have read though, what you've said sounds very very possible.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                well if your engine is turning then its not the starter

people need to understand that all a starter does is spin the engine, if your engine is spinning, then the starter isnt the problem.. unless of course the engine is spinning very slowly, but that still leaks me to believe its something not related to the starter
                We established that 4 posts ago, you didn't need to rant on the OP.
                Y87 Package
                MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
                Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
                BONE APPROVED!
                VANBIBBER APPROVED!
                KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
                Team Black...TEAM EMO
                sigpic
                Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

I think the FPR also keeps the fuel from draining back to the tank. From what I've been reading, it works just like an FMU, except it uses vacuum instead of boost.
                  2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

This info is great. Now i know what to look specifically at. I figured it wasn't the starter since it was cranking, but just wanted to be sure.

I might be able to handle the fuel filter by myself, but after that I might take it to a local shop. I hear that gas is flammable and an amateur like me probably shouldn't be messing with it.

(that's a joke for those who already typed "what an idiot" in quick reply)

Comment

Originally posted by Nbajwill55 View Post
                      This info is great. Now i know what to look specifically at. I figured it wasn't the starter since it was cranking, but just wanted to be sure.

I might be able to handle the fuel filter by myself, but after that I might take it to a local shop. I hear that gas is flammable and an amateur like me probably shouldn't be messing with it.

(that's a joke for those who already typed "what an idiot" in quick reply)
                      lol, i laughed before I read the () part. Anyways.. actually now that I think about it.. I'm not so sure that it might be the FPR since.. when you turn your car to the ON position the fuel pump primes the lines pretty much instantly. Bah don't trust me on this stuff, I need to learn more.

Ugh, these fuel problems are a pain in the ***... I'm having one myself. My problem starts after like 15-20 minutes of driving and my fuel pressure just dies. Unless I nail down on the accelerator. And who knows what could be causing it then because I've got a turbo and a walbro 255 I installed myself. wtf? I'm gonna go make a thread for myself lol.

Oh, and trust me. You're gonna get some fuel on your hands when you change the filter. Just don't get any in your eyes. Don't worry about it though, have fun with your car. Nothing is as hard as it seems.
                      Last edited by Blizzard242; 07-29-2008, 09:49 PM.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Re:u Is it a bad Starter?

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                        lol, i laughed before I read the () part. Anyways.. actually now that I think about it.. I'm not so sure that it might be the FPR since.. when you turn your car to the ON position the fuel pump primes the lines pretty much instantly. Bah don't trust me on this stuff, I need to learn more.

Ugh, these fuel problems are a pain in the ***... I'm having one myself. My problem starts after like 15-20 minutes of driving and my fuel pressure just dies. Unless I nail down on the accelerator. And who knows what could be causing it then because I've got a turbo and a walbro 255 I installed myself. wtf? I'm gonna go make a thread for myself lol.

Oh, and trust me. You're gonna get some fuel on your hands when you change the filter. Just don't get any in your eyes. Don't worry about it though, have fun with your car. Nothing is as hard as it seems.
                        Lots of questions for you now blizzz....are you tuning with hptuners?

do you have upgraded injectors?

do you have a fmu for the turbo?

and an off topic one, but where did you get your turbo manifolds? any pics of the setup?
                        Y87 Package
                        MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
                        Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
                        BONE APPROVED!
                        VANBIBBER APPROVED!
                        KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
                        Team Black...TEAM EMO
                        sigpic
                        Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

"have fun with your car. Nothing is as hard as it seems."

great advice

Comment

Re: u Is it a bad Starter?

Originally posted by Firebirdkid96 View Post
                            Lots of questions for you now blizzz....are you tuning with hptuners?

do you have upgraded injectors?

do you have a fmu for the turbo?

and an off topic one, but where did you get your turbo manifolds? any pics of the setup?
                            Look under the forced induction threads, I just posted there. Most of what's in there answers your questions.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

FPR. do the fuel pressure regulator. i swear thats your problem. do a search
                              Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X