A/C Delete Nightmare!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C Delete Nightmare!!!

I finally got around to taking out my non working A/C compressor, took the thing out, spat on it and proceded to install the idler pulley.

once i installed it, i put on the old serp. belt.

started the car and the engine bay started smoking and smelled like burning rubber.

took a further look and saw that the belt was spinning but the new idler pulley was not spinning with it, it just stayed in place and was undoubtebly the reason for the smoke and pieces of rubber flying everywhere.

btw, the belt went on very very easily without using the tensioner pulley very much.

so i figured, it must need a smaller belt size now, because the belt isn't catching the pulley.

went out and got a size lower belt.

this time the belt JUST fit on all of the pulleys as i imagine it should and then i started the car and lo and behold, more smoke then ever before! :eek:

i took that belt off and spun the new idler pulley, it doesn't spin very fast or for more than half a rotation before it stops. I'm wondering if the pulley is seized up? Any other reason why the belt is NOT catching the pulley and turning it? will i have to re-route the belt?

i really need some help on this one because this is my d.d. and i need it for tomorrow and there is no way i'm putting that heavy p.o.s. compressor back in just so i can use the pulley!

thanks

max

Re: A/C Delete Nightmare!!!

You just aren't having much luck under there as of late. :(

Lounge Moderator

Comment

your problem is that pulley specifically; it's not the belt, if after turning it by hand, it barely rotated. The only thing that I can think of would be to get a much shorter belt, and just skip routing where the AC compressor used to be. You may want to contact someone that's done the AC delete on a 3.4, and see if that's what they did or not

Comment

That new pulley is toast. Even if the belt is just barely touching the pulley, an idler shouldn't provide any resistance at all and should spin freely. Get yourself a new pulley and try again. :)
        -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

update:

everything is working fine now.

phhewwww, what a relief! my mechanical endeavours have been so unlucky as of late.

this was the problem:

the pulley itself was ok, but it needed the washer provided to get it out into correct alignment with the other pullies.

i put in the washer, put in the new belt, fired her up... no smoke, good idle, thing was spinning fine, happy customer.

sorry to freak you guys out, this is my fault for overlooking the washer (and i think i may have routed the belt wrong once or twice, i get brain freezes with easy stuff)

anyhow, took her out for a drive, and i know it really doesn't help all THAT MUCH for a power upgrade, but she seemed to have more pep and it was nice to throw that 25lb compressor to the curb! (my AC wasn't working anyways.)

thanks for the quick help guys, sorry to freak out like that.

it just seemed like doomsday when there was smoke billowing out of my engine bay and rubber pieces flying all over. :spank:

o btw, i'm gonna end up having to get a new size belt anyways cuz in a week i'm putting my stock crankshaft pulley back on anyways, so theres 25$ down the drain... oh well.

Comment

Man oh man. You're learning everything the hard way lmao! So, you're gonna get help with this nitrous install yeah? I don't like crispy guinea pigs.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
              Man oh man. You're learning everything the hard way lmao! So, you're gonna get help with this nitrous install yeah? I don't like crispy guinea pigs.
              nitrous idea was shot down a while ago, i dont' have the $.

but yeah your right, you guys can always expect something stupid from TKO :rock:

we should make a collection of my threads and call it the "F Body How NOT To guide"

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident View Post
                nitrous idea was shot down a while ago, i dont' have the $.

but yeah your right, you guys can always expect something stupid from TKO :rock:

we should make a collection of my threads and call it the "F Body How NOT To guide"
                I was actually thinking of going through all of your "OH NO" threads to count em up.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

haha its okay6 max, I still got faith in you man lol ......... plus I have a feelin I may have some of your luck here soon.

Comment

I shake my lucky Bone in your general direction. That should help a little.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

omg, thanks for the support guys, i think.

Comment

Hey hey.. honestly... You should be in the clear. What else could go wrong? :D

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                          Hey hey.. honestly... You should be in the clear. What else could go wrong? :D
                          hhaahhahahahhahahhahah

be careful, be very very careful.

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident View Post
                            hhaahhahahahhahahhahah

be careful, be very very careful.
                            yeah I'm not gonna say anything else or you'll have to change your name from TKO to Jinxed

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Knock on wood max .......................

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                                by ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                                1 week ago
                              • RPDRed6
                                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                                by RPDRed6
                                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • ssms5411
                                No start problem
                                by ssms5411
                                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X