Once and for all!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once and for all!!

once and for all, does the underdrive crankshaft pulley affect the output of you alternator???

i've had people tell me it is hurting my voltage and water pump so i was gonna put the stocker back on, but the shop that is going to do it called me and said it isn't going to have any affect at all on the alternator.

can someone please give me a yes or no answer, i need to know whether or not to tell them to put the stocker back on, i've been having trouble with voltage and i'm sick of it.

Re: Once and for all!!

it shouldn't, but if you're having voltage issues, your problem is with the alternator

Comment

But Its A Brand New Bat And Alt, Still No Fix.

I Have A High Output Alt, I Suppose I Should Give That A Shot.

Comment

Yes, they will effect your accessories. I posted in your AAHHHHHHH! thread about it too but here.. read this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underdrive_pulleys

TEAM C6V6

Comment

the shop says they will NOT affect my accessories

Comment

^well, looks like you'll have to make an executive decision on that. The wikipedia does say it will, and now i'm more inclined to say that's the case as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther View Post
              ^well, looks like you'll have to make an executive decision on that. The wikipedia does say it will, and now i'm more inclined to say that's the case as well.
              damn it, i should have just had them change it while i had it at the shop!!

all this speculation on what the problem might be.... i should just get this option out of the equation.

I was gonna have them install it but they didn't want to and next thing you know "hey your car is done, come and pick it up"

grrrr.

:rant:

my car is in need of a new oil dipstick tube, and i want a shop to install it, so maybe i will just have them put the stock crank pulley on at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident View Post
                the shop says they will NOT affect my accessories
                <RANT>
                The shop are idiots!

Changing pulley ratios changes the speed at which the accessories rotate. So they're telling you that the alternator running slower doesn't affect it's output so by that reasoning if the alternator is barely spinning it should still have full output and your voltage should never drop below 14.4 and revving the engine shouldn't make the voltage increase.

So next time you're at the shop have them check the turn signal fluid and grease the muffler bearings for you.
                </RANT>

Since the underdrive pulley doesn't affect accessories then why bother using it? That's why you want the stock pulley back on.

Comment

Originally posted by dobie View Post
                  <RANT>
                  The shop are idiots!

Changing pulley ratios changes the speed at which the accessories rotate. So they're telling you that the alternator running slower doesn't affect it's output so by that reasoning if the alternator is barely spinning it should still have full output and your voltage should never drop below 14.4 and revving the engine shouldn't make the voltage increase.

So next time you're at the shop have them check the turn signal fluid and grease the muffler bearings for you.
                  </RANT>

Since the underdrive pulley doesn't affect accessories then why bother using it? That's why you want the stock pulley back on.

yes, well said. :tup:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                    by ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                    1 week ago
                  • RPDRed6
                    For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                    by RPDRed6
                    Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                    3 weeks ago
                  • ssms5411
                    No start problem
                    by ssms5411
                    So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                    4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X