Changing water pump...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing water pump...

How hard is it or how much would it cost to change out a water pump? Recently i've had some leaks near the radiator, i thought, and used some stop leak stuff which stopped the leak I had, but not I think it might be my water pump instead. Today as I was backing up and my car made a horrible noise and acted as if it were hard to turn. I just put in power steering fluid in the last month. Then when I went into drive the car made even more worse screeching noises and soon some white smoke followed in the engine compartment. I quickly put the car in neutral and coasted back down to my parking spot. So i'm thinking water pump problems, cracked head maybe, water in the oil perhaps as well. Does anyone have anything recommendations on what I can try to figure out whats going on?

Its a 95 3.4

Re: Changing water pump...

Well first thing I would do is find out where your leak is coming from. It sounds like you might have a bad power steering pump or other possible problems. I had to partially remove the power steering pump when I changed my water pump, and it's not hard to get to. Do you have water in the oil? I don't understand how you "might" have water in the oil. Where exactly is the leak starting from? What's making the smoke? Do you see a crack in the head?

I changed out my water pump just recently (apparently just for fun cause the old one was fine, but that's another thread). Wasn't difficult, but it took me about 7 hours (took my time and cleaned up a few things as I went along, changed the thermo, and flushed the system). I've heard people say they did it in as little as 4 hours. You'll need a power steering puller / install tool that Autozone can lend you. You can also purchase one at Sears or the auto parts stores for about 40 bucks. Follow the Haynes or Chilton manual, or go to the autozone.com and look it up in their vehicle repair guide.

The biggest tip I can give you is to follow the Haynes manual and when it gets to the part about removing the power steering pump, remove the first coil (passenger side, just like the book says) by accessing the screws from the top middle of the engine, then lift the coil and access the power steering pump bracket bolt. This doesn't make any sense now, I'm sure, but when you get to it it will make more sense.
    Last edited by landj; 08-13-2008, 06:12 PM.

Comment

i changed mine. it was pretty easy. it was on a 3.8. only thing that confused me was this pointy piece of metal that i thought was a rung off bolt. then i realized it was just a groove that the water pump sat onto to help it in position i guess.
      my water pump was like 30 at advance autoparts

Comment

I did mine in under 4 hours easy. After pump is removed, rub a wet rag or use a spray bottle where the water pump was seated. This will help you find all the bits of old gasket. Use a razor to gently scrap it off while using caution against pitting the hell out of everything.

And no. I didn't drain the entire system first. No reason to.
        Red 96' A4 Firebird
        Audio Audio and Autotek
        Check it out here!

Comment

wow i guess the 3.4 is tough, i had mine done in under a half hour on my 3.8
          1997 Camaro LS1 RS
          1994 Camaro - Sold
          1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Rs View Post
            wow i guess the 3.4 is tough, i had mine done in under a half hour on my 3.8
            Yeah, the removal of the power steering pump requires removing the pulley with a pulley, among reaching difficult bolts hidden by the coils. It's not tough, but takes time. Our 3.4 thermos are a ***** too, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by 96firebird311 View Post
              And no. I didn't drain the entire system first. No reason to.
              bahh. CHEATER! betcha didn't change the thermo either!

;)

Comment

i have one for sale $20 shipped.

3.8 is way to easy lol 20 mins here
                WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                  by ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                  1 week ago
                • RPDRed6
                  For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                  by RPDRed6
                  Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                  3 weeks ago
                • ssms5411
                  No start problem
                  by ssms5411
                  So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X