dropping rear end kinda scary!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dropping rear end kinda scary!

I have my 97 up on stands and IM looking under the rear of the car.. I see alot of the parts are really not that badly rusted. (Car came from florida) so it hasnt had the elements of the northern winters yet. but Im looking at all the suspension components and wondering whats the best way to take this out as a whole. The reason I ask is because I have done multipul searches for the past three days and really havent found much info, and my chilton and haynes doesnt explain on how to take out the rear end, unless Im missing something. I need to take the complete rear of the 97 and put it in the 01 donor so I can roll it on the trailer and take it to the salvage yrd as soon as IM done with it. Im not worried about break lines on this one, though I am on the 01, I noticed above the rear axle was a couple braces attached to the frame of the car, If I drop those and remove some of the suspension components aswell as the driveshaft (thank god for PB blast) and the torque arm, it should just drop right out right?

I know some of ya'll have done this, so your info would be great.. or if there is a write up somewhere.. I searched the stickies in the suspension and drivetran sections and came up with nothing.

Thanks Guys, and Girls..

Archer
    Last edited by Archer; 08-17-2008, 11:08 AM. Reason: DE DE DE
    MISC: 01 parts. Some interior, T top kit, seats etc.
    http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=95347

Re: dropping rear end kinda scary!

support it on jack stands.

disconnect the ebrake cables, brake line(s), and abs sensor wiring.

remove the drive shaft first, then the torque arm.

then remove the sway bar. unbolt the pan hard bar.

unbolt the shocks.

lower the rear to remove the shocks and springs if needed.

unbolt the control arms.
    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2265676\" target=\"_blank\">95 bright red camaro 3.4l</a>

Comment

now see I did a search on rear end removal. not swap.. so can I leave everything on the rear axle and just unbolt it from the frame? i missed one bolt with the pb blast, but im taking the TA and the 2 piece out at once. I tried getting to the top bolt and its a PITA.. thanks for the links,

Comment

rule of thumb, if you have broken tempered glass under the car and your pulling on the TA and the drive shaft, you will cut open your head.. just a little saftey message for ya'll.. im going to take some advil now...

Archer

Comment

Originally posted by Archer View Post
          rule of thumb, if you have broken tempered glass under the car and your pulling on the TA and the drive shaft, you will cut open your head.. just a little saftey message for ya'll.. im going to take some advil now...

Archer

I hate to laugh but damn man... Surely you have a broom?!?! Sweep up before you start! lol
          -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

yeah I have a shop vac too.. just been lazy. lol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
              Had to be evacuated again due to fire
              by ssms5411
              Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
              1 week ago
            • RPDRed6
              For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
              by RPDRed6
              Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
              3 weeks ago
            • ssms5411
              No start problem
              by ssms5411
              So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
              4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X