coolant elbow asap asap asap asap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coolant elbow asap asap asap asap

the 90* coolant elbow going from my lower intake is leaking and i took it out and im about to go get a new one but it doesnt look like its gunna go in very easily. is there some trick to getting it in or do you just have to wiggle it around till it fits in both spots. i broke the old one getting it out so im not sure how to get anew one back in without breaking it. you dont have to take the intakes manifolds off, right?

this is very very asap because i need to do it right when i get back from the parts store. thanks.

Re: coolant elbow asap asap asap asap

it goes in pretty easy. just make sure you clean the openings really good and that the old o rings are not stuck in there. or its a pain in the ***.

other than that, its simple
    MISC: 01 parts. Some interior, T top kit, seats etc.
    http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=95347

Comment

i didnt even know the old one had orings till i got the new one. maybe theyre stuck in there because theyre not on the elbow i took out. weird. well im gunna go try it

Comment

i got a pack that had 2 elbows in it and everyone said its the right one. one of the elbows looks too long and the other one looks the right length but one side is fatter than the one that came off and i cant get either to fit. anyone get this and can tell me which fits? its from autozone and one of them has 2 orange orings and the other has one purple and one orange. any get these and can tell me which fits?

Comment

The elbow that goes into the lower intake is the one that's the same diameter on both sides. If you haven't removed the intake yet, don't. You can swap this part by only removing the tensioner. The other elbow goes between the tensioner and water pump, but only on some 3.8s. I'm pretty sure the Fbodies don't use that elbow. Use a small screwdriver to make sure you get all the pieces of the old elbow out. A very small amount of vasoline on the o-rings will help.
          -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

yeah i got it. the one seemed longer than the one that came out because there were pieces of the old one still in there. i replaced both of them and its still leaking coolant ha. looks like the water pump now.

so heres the next question. i was reading in my manual about doing the water pump and it said if the pump goes bad it will leak out of the weep hole or something like that. is that a little hole underneath the water pump? because theres a little hole under it that looks like it might be leaking but theres always the chance it could be run off from something else. so is that hole where it should leak from if it goes bad?

and if it is the water pump, replacing on a 3.8 is pretty straight forward right? unbolt the old, change the gasket, put on the new right?
            Last edited by FadeToBlak121; 08-21-2008, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Yes, the weep hole is a small hole that should be on the bottom of the pump, usually near the snout for the pulley. In most cases, when the water pump is bad it will leak there. Replacement is very straight forward: unbolt, remove, clean, install. You may need thread sealer on some of the bolts if they go into a water passage.
              -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

ok its 12.30 and heres the update on everything..

did the water pump, it all went fine. pressure tested it and didnt see any leaks. crazy. so i put everything back together and started it up and it seemed to run ok. so i drive it to walmart which is like 5 minutes away and right before i get into the parking lot the temp gauge starts goin up. didnt overheat but went up higher than it shouldve. so i get in there pop the hood and realize i dont have a flashlight so i couldnt do much. didnt see anything leaking underneath the car so i let it sit for a minute and drive home. the drive home was fine, stayed at normal temp. get home, the coolants a little low so i fill it. check out a few other things and went for a longer drive. drove for like half hour ish. temp gauge stayed real low. so im thinkin sweet. i stop in a parking lot and take a look and its not leaking and i pop the hood and notice some smoke. and it looks like its coming from the oil fill neck. so i take it off and some smoke comes out. nothing ridiculous but more than should. and theres a liiittle bit of white stuff in the neck. it still ran fine though so i drove it home. temp gauge stayed low, well below half way. got home and didnt see anything leaking but didnt really look. im too tired and have to work in the morning so ill look at it tomorrow night again. but i did notice the kinda faint smell of oil coming from my car when i got out of it. so i dont really know what to do with it.
                gets real hot then stays real cool. smells weird and theres some smoke. i dont really know what to do. and on top, when i hit bumps now my interior lights come on lol. i think i didnt tighten a ground all the way or something but its pretty funny.

so any suggestions or anything for me to try let me know. ill be checkin back tomorrow evening. im goin to bed.

oh and also, its not throwing any codes if that helps.

Comment

Its getting hot because there is air in the cooling system.

With the car completely cooled down...

1. Open the radiator fill cap
                  2. Turn the car on
                  3. If you cant see coolant in the radiator, add some
                  4. Once the car warms up the fans will kick on, the thermo will open and coolant will start to flow, keep filling it as it will suck down thru the radiator
                  5. While doing this, open the bleeder valve on the thermo housing, careful, hot air will squirt out
                  6. Once there is coolant squirting out of the bleeder valve and not air, close it (it will take several minutes before coolant starts coming out)
                  7. Put the cap back on the radiator and you should be good to go

As for the white stuff in the oil feed neck, is it milky white? if so...not good. Drain the oil immediately and see what it looks like. If there is coolant mixed in your oil its only a matter of time before you spin a bearing.

Good luck...
                  sigpic
                  1997 Camaro RS A4
                  2006 Chevy Colorado
                  2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

lets say i drain the oil and there is coolant in it. (hopefully not) is there anything i can do to fix it or is the motor just gone

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlak121 View Post
                      lets say i drain the oil and there is coolant in it. (hopefully not) is there anything i can do to fix it or is the motor just gone
                      change the head gaskets, toss a cam in with some roller rockers and call it a day.

Comment

Shodown answered both problems perfectly. I'd get on draining the oil ASAP if I were you.
                        Red 96' A4 Firebird
                        Audio Audio and Autotek
                        Check it out here!

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident View Post
                          change the head gaskets, toss a cam in with some roller rockers and call it a day.
                          What? That wont fix a damn thing.

If it is milky when you drain it you will first have to find out how coolant is mixing with oil. Could be a number ways, but the most likely are the throttle body gasket, lower intake manifold gasket, and possibly a headgasket (but not often). Fix where ever its leaking then....

Drain the oil, fill it with cheap oil, run it for a few minutes, drain the oil again, fill it with fresh cheap oil again, run it for a few mins, drain the oil, fill it with cheap fresh oil again, run it for a few minutes, drain it again then put good fresh oil in it.
                          sigpic
                          1997 Camaro RS A4
                          2006 Chevy Colorado

Comment

Originally posted by Shodown View Post
                            What? That wont fix a damn thing.

if you change the head gaskets, you change all the other gaskets in the process. :tup:

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident View Post
                              if you change the head gaskets, you change all the other gaskets in the process. :tup:
                              Wrong.

That still doesnt fix the issue of having coolant in the crank case which will cause him to spin a bearing and the motor is finished. His brand new headgaskets and intake gaskets wouldnt do him any good with blown motor will they?

Plus, if its the TB gasket which is only $5, why should he go thru all the trouble and cost of replacing headgaskets and intake gaskets????

You are giving him really round-about advice that doesnt make any sense. You have to find EXACTLY what the problem is before you start taking things apart and replacing things that arent broke.
                              Last edited by Shodown; 08-22-2008, 01:37 PM.
                              sigpic
                              1997 Camaro RS A4
                              2006 Chevy Colorado

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X