idle speed query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idle speed query

I've gathered from reading in the forum that 900 rpm is a common idle spped for the 3.4 V6 (manual). I've also gathered that several people have idle speeds closer to 700 rpm. I only expect idle rpms in the 900 range from 4-cylinders; does anyone know why the 3.4s are set up to idle so fast? Is there a way to decrease the idle speed, and if so, is it advisable? Seems like a waste of gas....

Set your idle for 700 rpm's and turn on the air conditioner or defrosters. Be ready to restart your car.
    sigpic

Comment

look into pulleys?
      maybe electric water pump

my car has probs with idling so low, yes i need tuning bad
      2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

FWIW, many people (ie, 99%) may be judging the idle speed by the tachometer, which is not extremely accurate for that purpose.
        Matt
        1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
        Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

I am judging based on the tach; what reason do I have not to trust it?

I don't know how to set idle speed on a computer controlled car, but I do know that for the current idle settings, the computer adjusts throttle (via IAC) and fuel settings to maintain the set idle speed under loaded idle conditions, i.e. with the A/C on and/or fan blowing hard or lights on or what have you. My car idles at the same speed regardless of what I have on or not, and that's around 900 rpm. I am not aware of any reason why the car could not carry out these same functions at a lower rpm setting, like the family minivan does or my brother's '66 Mustang (with a 200 ci I6 and factory a/c). Both of these vehicles have no problems dealing with any idle load and an initial idle speed of approx. 700-750 rpm. Incidentally, they're all within a couple ci's of one another as well.

What gives?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X