NEED MSD DIS 4 HELP FAST!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED MSD DIS 4 HELP FAST!!!

Alright I started installing my MSD yesterday and soldered the wires that needed to be connected. I didnt finish yesterday so I finished today. When I finally connect the negative and positive to the battery I start up the car. It sounds like it started up fine then the whole car begins to shake a little and the engine does that too. It basically sounded like it was running off 5 cylinders. The light on the msd box was on but faintly dimming here and there. Now when I put the bypass connector in so it can switch back to normal ignition the car starts up fine and runs basically fine but there is the SES light on in this mode too. I do not know what is wrong I must have a wrong connection somwhere. I used to MSD installation guide on this site but the coil interface module wires were a little different so i had to compromise using that and the coil interface instructions. Can anyone tell me the definite connections as in like "brown/orange goes to 2nd module 3rd wire". This is like blowing my mind right now I hate when this **** happens. I need help ASAP if you can!!! Thanks!!
    Email: Preki1212@hotmail.com

ANYONE??????? I just removed one of the coil - wires from the channel 3 CIU connecting to I think a brown wire on the MSD and now in bypass mode the car is running ****ty like off 5 cylinders. So somehow i connected bypass mode right and msd mode wrong???? I need help!

[ April 19, 2002: Message edited by: 97Pcam6 ]</p>

Comment

You are currently bypassing the MSD box, and it still runs like crap? You may have connected some wron wires. Take off the coil interfaces and see if the car runs ok...if it does, recheck your wiring and reconnect in bypass and check if it runs. If it does then connect the box and make sure you have a good power source. If you are in Bypass and still missing you probably did not connect the wiring for the coil interface correctly and you aren't geting a spark to the coil (the bypass only redirects the spark thru the wire and back down, that is why the bypass has looped wires, but if the wiring is not correct then the spark goes where it shouldn't). Good luck
      Joel<br />God is my copilot, but Satan has his foot on the gas!<br />94 3.4L AutoCamaroRagtop w/MSD ignition,Accelcoilpacks,K&N FIPK,BMR SFC&STB,3\"Catco w/3\"catbackSS muffler,JetStage 2,HomemadePIAAheadlightconversion <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/cardiac1968\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.geocities.com/cardiac1968</a>

Comment

For some additional diagnostics you could start by taking one CIU out from under the coil and then reinstalling that coil and leave the other two CIU's in place and see if the car runs right after that. If not, put that channel back and take off another, try all combinations to see if you can tell that maybe just one of the channels is not wired right.
        Wayne<br />94 5 spd Camaro<br />Turbo/Intercooled<br /> <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/Mustang732/cars.htm\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.geocities.com/Mustang732/cars.htm</a> <br /><br />Megasquirt Stand-alone EFI controling fuel/spark w/ wideband:<br /> <a href=\"http://home.att.net/~basic-4/2ndMegasquirt/NewMegasquirt.html\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.att.net/~basic-4/2ndMegasquirt/NewMegasquirt.html</a>

Comment

On the msd box it said do not use with solid core spark plugs. I currently have 5 stock plugs and one i had to replace on cylinder 6 but all i did was go to murrays and get a replacement, i believe it was bosch or ac delco. I also have stock wires too, but i was wondering if that plug i replaced was maybe a solid core plug and that could explain why it sounds like its running off 5 cylinders??? i tripled checked the connections and they are perfect and the car runs fine in bypass mode no more ses light.

Comment

I doubt its the plug but it would be a good idea to replace them all. Its probablty the wiring on the Coil Interface Units (CIU). One will have a different 12v+ than the next coil. Be sure to verify each and every 12v+ on each CIU. I made the mistake of figuring they were all the same when I got my DIS4 and it did the exact same thing.
            John -Acrophobic V6 racing-<br />\"Yeah, its a Z28, I just removed 1/4 of the engine to save weight.\"

Comment

Thanks I am gonna check that today I will update any new news.

Comment

I just checked each coil unit and the 12v is consistient on each one, its on the right side on each coil. So that isnt it. One of my spark plugs is a bosch platinum plug. I heard that you arent supposed to do msd with platinum plugs. Could this be causing all this trouble, should i just replace it with a ac delco for now?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                  by ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                  1 week ago
                • RPDRed6
                  For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                  by RPDRed6
                  Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                  3 weeks ago
                • ssms5411
                  No start problem
                  by ssms5411
                  So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X