P0102 Troubleshooting Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P0102 Troubleshooting Issues

I got a SES a few days ago and took my baby to AutoZone, where they scanned it and told me it was a P0102 Code and that all I should have to do is clean my MAP.

I bought the spray, located and removed the MAP and the plastic housing it resides in. There was a lot of crap in there, not sure why, but I'm thinking it may have had something to do with the misfire issues I was having a while ago since I hope the design of the engine wouldn't allow so much junk into that area during normal operation. Both with the MAP installed in the housing and not installed, while still connected to the engine from the wiring harness, but removed from the fuel connnector (?) so I could get better access to the unit, I liberally sprayed the solution in the can they sold me as a MAP/MAF cleaner, let it drain, let it dry, and repeat two to three times. Reinstalled the housing, sensor, connectors, etc. Also removed and cleaned the MAF sensor that plugs into the top of the throttle body.

Code went away for part of today, but got another SES light on the way home, swung by AutoZone, got it checked, and it's still the P0102.

I either did something wrong and hosed everything up or I'm missing something.

Please help!!!
    Last edited by EvilSmirk; 09-10-2008, 04:16 PM.

Re: P0102 Troubleshooting Issues

Just replaced my MAF tonight due to the same code. Going to drive it for a few days to see if the code clears. If not, I might need to have a shop clear it for me and run it for a few more days.

I originally had the P0102 code, so I did a little searching here, and found that cleaning it with brake cleaner can sometimes resolve the issue. Cleaned it, cleared the code, and within 5 minutes after clearing it, the SES came back on for the same thing.

I would look at getting a replacement part, but they can be expensive.

Depending on the car you have, I have a 97 Camaro 3.8, it shouldn't be much more than $150 for a refurbished or $200 for a new MAF, if you buy them online from Amazon.

Check the For Sale section though, as some are getting rid of theirs for a lot cheaper.

Comment

I tried replacing the MAP, but that only cleared the code for a few hours after a few restarts. Looks like the next step is a replacement MAF, but I don't really want to pay that much for a part that may not take care of the problem.

Comment

Before replacing it, I would try to VERY GENTLY clean the wires with a Q-Tip or something. Maybe the spray is not enough to get the crud off. It may need to be scrubbed a little. If you break a wire and kill it, oh well. You were going to buy a new one anyway.
        2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Good call! Should I put anything on the qtip or wire to help out?

Comment

A little spit should work fine...

Seriously though, prob just some brake cleaner.

Comment

Glad you added that last part. Otherwise, I probably would've tried spit.

Wiped them down with a brake cleaner moistened qtip. Already looks better. Will have to give it some time to kick the code, without clearing it, right?

Comment

Light was out on the way to work this morning. Will keep you updated if it comes back on.

Thank you guys for all of your help!

Comment

i cleaned mine and then got the code. shouldn't had cleaned it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X