'97 Long crank time to start...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '97 Long crank time to start...

My '97 cranks for a long time before it starts; but it does always start. It runs fine once it's running. Everything checks OK. Any suggestions? Thanks

Re: '97 Long crank time to start...

Either your battery or Alt. is on its way out or your starter is on its way out. Just got to test the batt. and Alt. first though.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

If it cranks at a normal speed, you may not be getting fuel or spark. When were the plugs and wires replaced? I would test for a good spark, first. It's easiest and simple.

Next check for fuel. It seems that long cranking times can result from a weak fuel pressure regulator. When it dies it lets the pressure bleed off back to the tank. So when you go to start the car, the in-tank pump has to fill the whole fuel system back up to operating pressure before it will start. Others here have suggested that you put the key in the Run position for a few moments before cranking. You should hear the pump come on and then shut off. Then try starting it and see if it starts faster. You can check the regulator by pulling off the vacuum line. If gas is in the vacuum line, then it's definately bad.

I just went out and tested mine. It's an '02 Bird. Here's what I did: 1. Turn the key to Accessory and make sure the radio is off so you don't get the noise from the radio or power antenna going up. 2. Fasten seat belt so you don't get the dinging noise. Then turn the key to Run. I could distinctly hear the pump running. It ran only for about 1 second So if yours runs for much more than that, you probably have found your problem. You could also get a fuel pressure gauge to see what happens to the pressure during startup.
      2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

I'll give it a try - thanks!

Comment

i upgraded to msd coils in my 01 and man did it help out crank time alot!
          2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
          1991 3000GT VR4
          2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

My 98 did that when I first got it, w/90k miles on it. Sometimes it would fire, most times it would spin 8-10 secs before starting. Installed some Taylor Spiro pro wires and NGK TR55 plugs and now it fires right off everytime.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X