Starter Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Woes

Well fcuk me... I just helped the mechanics screw me over.

I just replaced the car's coolant elbows and radiator flushed after having it sit for a month, due to lack of time and appropriate weather. I finally got to pull off the alternator and bracket to get to replace the elbows on Sunday, with some help. And then flushed the radiator on Monday. That night we took the car out to get something to eat after all the work when the check gauges light came on and I noticed the battery was low. Upon inspection under the hood we realized the plug from the alternator to the battery was missed in our final inspection and the car had been running off the battery with nothing to recharge it. Thus, the car was hooked up to a battery tender for two days.

This morning the tender light was green and I get the car out to go to class. After stopping to air up the tires, I noticed a slight metallic tapping/pinging noise from under my side of the car while under load. Thinking it was another exhaust leak, I took it to a muffler shop, where they said it wasn't exhaust related but rather sounded like something on the flywheel. So I take it to Aamco Transmission, who had done previous work with the valve body replacement. They find out that the starter bendix was broken and was floating, hitting the flywheel, and causing that noise. Fortunately the flywheel wasn't damaged.

Eager to have this replaced, I tell them to go ahead and put a new starter in it, without researching what it would cost elsewhere (stupid, I know). They said it'd be an hour to get the starter from O'Reilly's and install it. So I walk down to Office Depot to kill some time. Well, then I start thinking and call up a friend at Autozone, only to find out that the starter only costs $179. Aamco was charging $279 for the starter from O'Reilly. So I immediately call up Aamco and ask if I can bring in a starter from somewhere else and he says they've already started installing the new one. So I ask why it costs so much, because O'Reilly is competitive with Autozone and shouldn't cost much more. He responds saying that they mark up the price because they get it in so soon (within 20 minutes) and can immediately install it. Since it was too late for me to stop them, I got stuck paying $386 for the starter and labor. Impulse made me impatient and rather than researching, I got screwed. Learned my lesson.

To make it even better, I stopped by and talked to a friend in the parts department of the dealership and find out they sell stock replacements for $169.

Anywho... this new starter makes an annoying high pitch winding up/down noise as compared to my not so noticeable stock one. I was told this is just because it's new and should go away once it breaks in. Is this true? I can deal with paying the money for my mistake, but don't want to have insult added to injury by having my car sound like a Corolla starting up.
    Last edited by pace2006; 09-17-2008, 04:33 PM.
    '99 Camaro
    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Re: Starter Woes

ouch... My starter did that as well on my 2k.

I bought a used one off the boards for $30, and took me 30 min to install, 10 min of that just jakcing the car up. If you can do an alternator or coolant elbow a starter is nothing.

Worked all the way until I sold my car.

Comment

the starter prolly wont quit making the noise.. but who really cares?

unless it needs to be shimmed and they installed it wrong..

Comment

I'll bet they forgot the shim. Without the shim it makes a weird high-pitched grinding/revving noise, especially when disengaging the flywheel.
        2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Bell View Post
          I'll bet they forgot the shim. Without the shim it makes a weird high-pitched grinding/revving noise, especially when disengaging the flywheel.
          Should I go back and ask about a shim? Or is it just something that'll wear down in time? I can deal with the noise, but can't pay to have a new flywheel or another starter put in.
          '99 Camaro
          '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
          '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
            Should I go back and ask about a shim? Or is it just something that'll wear down in time? I can deal with the noise, but can't pay to have a new flywheel or another starter put in.
            well if you dont get it shimmed (if thats the reason) you eventually will have to get a new starter or flywheel.. whichever one gets the most worn down.

and just to let you know, i have the stock starter and everything, and my car does what Rob Bell said.. especally when its very cold outside (single digit temps) my starter will stay engaged for a few seconds, you can slowly hear it disengaging from the flywheel

when i was doing my clutch, there was 0 wear on the flywheel or starter for that matter

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
              well if you dont get it shimmed (if thats the reason) you eventually will have to get a new starter or flywheel.. whichever one gets the most worn down.

and just to let you know, i have the stock starter and everything, and my car does what Rob Bell said.. especally when its very cold outside (single digit temps) my starter will stay engaged for a few seconds, you can slowly hear it disengaging from the flywheel

when i was doing my clutch, there was 0 wear on the flywheel or starter for that matter
              Ok. Well, I'll probably call them and ask if they did shim it. If they try to give me the run around, then I'll pull it and have someone else look at it or just deal. Thanks for all the help. :)
              '99 Camaro
              '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
              '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

IF the starter makes noise while your starting the car, it is not shimmed correctly. In most cases, it will not go away. If it makes noise after you release the key from the start position, it's a problem with the starter it's self. Either way you paid top dollar and they should fix it and not give you excuses.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                  IF the starter makes noise while your starting the car, it is not shimmed correctly. In most cases, it will not go away. If it makes noise after you release the key from the start position, it's a problem with the starter it's self. Either way you paid top dollar and they should fix it and not give you excuses.
                  XX2
                  My gf had a brand new belt tensioner installed on her car and because of the brand of the tensioner and belt size they used it likes to make this horrible rattle/click sound when under load. She wanted me to fix it but I explained to her that they're responsible and I wouldn't accept anything less than perfect from a part/parts that they installed for the money she paid. She's taking it back next week and I'm gonna make sure she doesn't pay a dime.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X