Starter Just Died.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Just Died.

So I went to start my car, and it was quite flimsy but eventually started. I turned it off, and tried again.

Nothing, not even turning over.

I'm quite sure it's my starter, but here's the thing, I've never replaced a starter before. I've looked in the Haynes manual and it only says how to replace one on a 5.7, which doesn't help me because I have a 3.8

Do I have to cut off my cat or any exhaust pipe to get to my starter? And are there any good walk through's on replacing a starter?

Thank you guys for your time,
    Jim

1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS
    New Trans Setup:Rebuilt 4L60E, Yank ST2800 Stall, B&M Trans Cooler,
    TCI Deep Pan, Royal Purple, Trans-go Shift Kit. Should be done in January.

Re: Starter Just Died.

Look harder in the Haynes. It shows how to do it on a 3.8 as well ;)

Its easy, its held in place by 2 15mm bolts (a long one and a short one). You will need at least a 6 inch extension to get the short one. You may to remove a black bracket too, I dont remember (I took off a bunch of useless brackets under there). Then just remove the wires and its out.
    sigpic
    1997 Camaro RS A4
    2006 Chevy Colorado
    2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

Alright, I'll keep looking in the manual. Thanks!

1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Comment

Yeah and I'm pretty sure there are heat shields all around it too which come off easy enough.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Alright, I found it in the Haynes manual, but it says I need to cut off my cat. Do I?

And If I were to buy the Starter, About how long does it normally take to replace?

1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by MAYH3M View Post
            Alright, I found it in the Haynes manual, but it says I need to cut off my cat. Do I?

And If I were to buy the Starter, About how long does it normally take to replace?
            I dont know the answer to either of those questions cuz I have custom exhaust (turbo down pipe), no cat and mine only takes a few mins to remove cuz I've had it off a few times before so I have a bunch of crap already pulled out of the way.
            sigpic
            1997 Camaro RS A4
            2006 Chevy Colorado
            2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

Originally posted by MAYH3M View Post

What in the heck.. I'm pretty sure the cat comes no where near the starter. The Y pipe part maybe. But I'm not even sure if you even need to touch that at all. Blah, if you really want me to I can look at my car tomorrow. I can't remember the stock setup since I've been under the one with the custom turbo pipes so much.
              But honestly, it's easy. It is as shodown said, 2 bolts.. maybe 3 if you count the nut on the + wire. And then one little plug.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

starters come off super easy
                i have never swapped one on a camaro but the one on my friends bronco had like 2 bolts and came out super easy.
                GM has done some dumb stuff but im pretty sure thet they would not make you cut off the cat to replace a starter.

Comment

yeah, I think the Haynes manual was referring to the 5.7 setup. The cheapest starter I can find is a Bosch Starter, and it's $165...

1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Comment

i think someone was selling a practically new one on here a few weeks back.
                    but maybe it was an alternator idk

Comment

Make sure you disconnect the neg. on your batt., look at checker or autozone their like $65 or so.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Alright, Thanks

1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Comment

does anyone know if msd has a starter that will fit in our car?
                          2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
                          1991 3000GT VR4
                          2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Originally posted by vr4gasm View Post
                            does anyone know if msd has a starter that will fit in our car?
                            Does not appear so...

SBC BBC SBF BBF LS1-LS7 Chrystler318-440

Comment

Look on ebay , they have some good starters for 98-02 Camaro and Firebirds.
                              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X