Lifter tap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifter tap?

So i started my car this morning and there was a loud tapping noise. I took a screw driver and it seems to have been strongest at the upper intake? The thing with "3800 Series II" written on it. This most likely my lifters? It didn't seem to go away after idling for about a minute or so... which worries me. Suggestions?

Edit- It might have been coming from one of my valve covers... i'm not sure. I have a stethoscope, just not on site when it was tapping. I took a screwdriver and i felt some tapping through it when i placed it on the upper intake thing. Increases with RPM. 93k on the engine... oil is about 2k miles old now? 10w-30 Mobile1 synthetic. Started the car up again tonight and let it run a bit longer... tapping went away after 2 1/2 minutes about. I think i'm going to try running some ATF or seafoam through the oil and do a change... and hope for the best? If not, i guess i'll be changing my lifters in the near future. Shouldn't be too hard for someone with average mechanic skills? Any How-To's out there?
    Last edited by onspeed; 09-25-2008, 10:45 PM.

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
Working...
X