So I broke my oil stick handle....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I broke my oil stick handle....

Well, stupid me. I was changing the spark plugs on my car (94 3.4L), and well, I was too lazy to remove the oil stick and decided to go ahead and remove my old spark plug and BAM, I bent the handle and broke it. [img]graemlins/slap.gif[/img]

Well, my dilema now is, I have an oil stick stuck with no way of removing it since I broke the freaking handle off. Ummmm, any way of removing the oil stick so that I can get a replacement one? I was thinking of Krazy Gluing the handle on to the oil dip stick, and when it's hard enough, pulling it out.

Any suggestions would be welcome.....

I would try a needle-nose pliers.
    1997 Camaro RS<br />--------------------<br />K&N CAI<br />2 1/2 inch dual Borla<br />Bosch Platinum +4 Plugs

Comment

^^^ exactly what I was thinking
      1999 Firebird

Comment

Try putting a screw in the end and pulling it out that way thats how I did it.

Comment

Tried needle nose pliers and didn't work. The screw thing may work though. Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by CamaroGenerations:
            Try putting a screw in the end and pulling it out that way thats how I did it.
            x2

this happened to me, and thats what i did and it worked like a charm.

Comment

The screw trick is a good idea but wont that cause any small metal shavings to fall into the tube?
              I thought you may as well apply Vaseline to the screw threads to catch any shavings.
              Just wondering...
              Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

Originally posted by 96RS Alex:
                The screw trick is a good idea but wont that cause any small metal shavings to fall into the tube?
                I thought you may as well apply Vaseline to the screw threads to catch any shavings.
                Just wondering...
                ... Don't you think gears in the engine unleash tons more metal shavings than a screw?... I seriously doubt a couple of shavings will hurt the engine any... or atleast not before the next oilchange... However DROPPING an ENTIRE SCREW in the oilpan is a different story... ;)
                1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

However DROPPING an ENTIRE SCREW in the oilpan is a different story... ;)
                  Yeah.... this is what I'm fearing. I hope I don't end up doing something stupid like that.... Wish me luck, or else I'll tr my Krazy Glue idea...

Comment

Hmm, our engines do not have gears inside, especially V6's in particular.
                    I dont want to play "Name That Gear Inside The L36" but I cant think of such a "gear" that exists in our engines.
                    Seriously, just poking fun back bro... [img]graemlins/stickpoke.gif[/img]
                    Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

Originally posted by 96RS Alex:
                      Hmm, our engines do not have gears inside, especially V6's in particular.
                      I dont want to play "Name That Gear Inside The L36" but I cant think of such a "gear" that exists in our engines.
                      Crankshaft sprocket, oil pump drive, 2 on the cam, 1 on the balance shaft. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                      Matt
                      1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
                      Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

try a magnetic pickup tool
                        2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

I stand corrected about second guessing the above post. I can win on a trivia bet on a pal of mines.
                          Thank You Matt!

Comment

Oh by the way, why are the 3.8 oil dipsticks molded in such a twisted way?
                            By the time I pull the entire dipstick out I often wonder if the fluid level slid a 1/2 inch when I inspect it lol.
                            It's so unlike the 3rd Gen design where its straight and uniform.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X