SES question *please help!*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SES question *please help!*

Hi, this is the 3rd time the light has come on in the past month or so. Every time it scans as a misfire in cylinder 1. So far the plug and wire have been changed on cylinder 1. Obviously that wasn't the problem since the light has come on again. What is the next logical thing it could be? A bad injector? I have been using Chevron supreme for over a year and I throw some Techron fuel system cleaner in there every 6 months or so, and I just did use some only weeks ago, so I seriously doubt my injectors are dirty.

I'm just wondering what else it could be besides a bad injector? I was thinking maybe a coil....but if 1 coil was bad..wouldn't I get misfires in 2 cylinders since we have 3 coils and each ones runs 2 cylinders? Also, I have some funny business goin on with my exhaust/cat...something under there rattling for the past year or so. Could a clogged cat cause a misfire? What else could it be? Thanks

[ July 19, 2004, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: camaroincal ]

Get it scanned again and or reset the computer and see if it comes on again some times the system is easily set off by too much humidity or some stupid thing like that. If it is misfiring you should be able to hear the inconsistency in the engine.

But yes I believe a bad injector can also do it.

[ July 17, 2004, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: eXzodious ]
    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/exzodious\" target=\"_blank\">2000 Pontiac Firebird</a>

Comment

Ya you can hear the inconsistency and it's not running all that great. I really need help on this because I need to make sure all of the possibilities before I tell my mechanic to replace the injector. I don't want to shell out $200 to replace the injector and then still have the same problem.

Here's some more information. The SES has come on all 3 times after a cold start up. So the misfire happens almost instantaneously after a cold start up..or after I started the car after sitting for 24-48 hours. Anyone else have any ideas what else it could be?

Comment

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] :(

Comment

check the coil pack.
          i had a bad 2/5 pack, only got misfires on cyl 5.
          2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

I'de change the coil pack. its onely like 20 bucks. It onely takes like 5 min.
            Also if your under 70K mi go to the dealership and have them put on a new cat for free.
            Black 2000 Y87 Camaro with T-tops ,SLP bowtie grill, Suncoast Creations Ram air hood and air box,Hypertech pp3,magnaflow cat back,and hi flow cat. <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/sorn09\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/sorn09</a>

Comment

well ive had an ses light for about three days now. Started when i was driving home from work it just started missfiring like crazy. So I read up in the owners manual and it said to use the expensive gas with higher octane. Then it said to run an entire tank on that to make sure all the shi*** gas is gone. Then the light should go out. And if it doesn't then it said take it to a mechanic
              Red 1998 Camaro 3.8<br />K&N and Home Depot<br />2 12\" JL W3v2 Subwoofers<br />-more audio stuff to come-

Comment

:rolleyes:
                2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

Well finally I've had a stroke of GOOD luck with the car. About 2 hours ago I started her up..the check engine light stayed on for about 30 seconds..THEN IT WENT OFF!! I was so happy, I drove it around for about 45 minutes..never came on. I have been using Chevron supreme for over a year in my car and every 6 months or so throw some chevron techron fuel system cleaner in there.

Also I mentioned my exhaust making rattling noises..Well before I started the car I slid under there and looked around. There was a bolt missing next to the cat. I replaced the bolt and the rattling seems to have diminished somewhat, but it's still there. Just not as bad.

[ July 19, 2004, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: camaroincal ]

Comment

Well, I will put in a vote for checking the coil, too, if you have problems again. I had a bad coil, and it only showed misfire on 1 cylinder. And it was intermittant, some days it would seem fine and other days it wouldn't. Hopefully your problem is fixed, but if not get the coils tested. I have annoying exhaust rattles too, if it makes you feel better.
                    <a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/bethann375\" target=\"_blank\">http://photos.yahoo.com/bethann375</a> <br /><br />1999 firebird, dark blue metallic, 5-speed, t-tops, kenny brown sfc\'s, high-flow cat, dynomax super turbo muffler, K&N filter, silver Firebat decals

Comment

Hi, well so far the SES hasn't come back on. Although I hardly drive it. About the exhaust rattles..seems a lot of people have them after doing some research..lol

Comment

I also had a bad coil, just the number 5 cyclinder was misfiring. Replaced the coil and everything is back to normal.
                        95 convertible 3.8 series II

Comment

Here's my advice... in the following order

#1 - Fuel Injector Cleaner ...
                          #2 - Coil Packs (this solved my misfiring problems
                          #3 - Cat...
                          1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                            Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                            by ssms5411
                            Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                            1 week ago
                          • RPDRed6
                            For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                            by RPDRed6
                            Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                            3 weeks ago
                          • ssms5411
                            No start problem
                            by ssms5411
                            So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                            4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X