Should I rebuild the A/C compressor? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I rebuild the A/C compressor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I rebuild the A/C compressor?

Hi there everyone [img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img]

I'm new to the forum but have been reading for a while (usually a few hours every night) and I was wondering if one the experienced mechanics could wave a magic wand for me (just kidding, just trying to take the easy way out).

Anyways, I've got a 1999 firebird 3.8L parked the for the winter and I'm going to do the intake & exhaust in the spring. The only problem the car has is when the A/C is turned off and the engine is running (of course), it makes a metal to metal abrasion sound (kinda like howling) & I traced it to the front of the A/C compressor.

I've read on the forum that it is supposed to be the clutch (as the A/C still works) and I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips or tricks to replacing the clutch. I'm trying to save money for the upgrades so if I can just replace the clutch and save hundred bucks, I'll do it.

Do I need any special tools? I have access to a shop, so doing the work myself is not a problem.

Thanks in advance.

[ February 02, 2006, 02:03 AM: Message edited by: xFirex99 ]
    99 Firebird<br />On order: SLP CAI, Whisper Lid,<br />Flowmaster catback, K&N filter<br />50k

Ive never heard of anyone just rebuilding the cluch. Your going to want to replace the whole thing. I had one lock up one time.....basicly it will leave you walking. I would never drive it in this condition.
    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

well, i have never been taught yet to do one but you can do it. i did it (tried) at a school competition last year

[ February 02, 2006, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: BLLDOGG ]
      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

I have problems with the belt pulley on my a/c cpmpressor. It make a humming, not very loud but you really notice it, when I rev up the engine to about 2,000rpm it gets really loud and I can barley feel the car vibrate when it does that. I took the belt off and was spinning it with my hand, it spins freely but makes grinding type of noise like the bearing are dry, and wobbles too, like a milimeter or so side to side. I think thats what it is thats killing my gas milage, its getting just around 20mpg on mostly country backroads. I'm guessing that when running the engine at almost 2k rpms it wobbles and puts a load on the engine. What do you guys think?

Well I'm gonna get it fixed tommorrow, it'll cost about $130.

I have a vid of it, I'll try to get it hosted somewhere.

Comment

WOW!
          I hope you get it fixed, and that fuel mileage does seem pretty low. I'm almost thinking of doing the A/C delete, but I do like having air on those hot days... It seems like a few ppl are having troubles with the A/C right now.
          My '99 only has 50000 miles on it and I was kinda shocked when the A/C started this howling sound. Does anyone else think that this seams pretty early for the A/C to start acting up?

[ February 03, 2006, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: xFirex99 ]
          99 Firebird<br />On order: SLP CAI, Whisper Lid,<br />Flowmaster catback, K&N filter<br />50k

Comment

Mine has over 157,000 miles right now.

Comment

my car is getting 20 MPG.

Comment

i used to get 27, but since i raised my car almost 2 inchs above stock, im now getting 26 hwy. 20 sounds too low.. you might want to try changeing your o2 sensers, and make sure your air cleaner is clean. The new o2 sensers added about a mile more to my hwy milage
                <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

Yeah I need to check those too, the check engine light comes on sometimes, mostly whenever I'm slowing down. I was gonna have autozone check it, but the diagnostic computer didn't have the right plug. The milage is really pathetic, my bro's 95 z28 consistantly got over 350 miles on a whole tank of gas while it had around/more than 200k miles on it. He kept it mantained really well. I'v only had my car for about a year and with a little more than $200/week income I cant fix everything at once. The last owners that had it were (as I think) slobs. Its not that great of condition cosmeticly but mechanicly theres only a few things that need to be fixed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X