Lifter ticking? Sluggish throttle... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lifter ticking? Sluggish throttle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifter ticking? Sluggish throttle...

I got this ticking noise when I started up this morning and eventually goes away. It keeps doing it now on every start up. I looked around and figure its a lifter ticking. The only thing I don't see in the other threads is anything about their throttle being slow. I take off like I normally do (not fast) and it almost feels like I'm running out of gas, then eventually gets up to speed slowly. This only happens when it is ticking, once the ticking goes away the throttle is fine. Is this just another cause from the lifter ticking? Also, I'm not about to disassemble my engine to fix this so how much would I be looking at to get this fixed.

The only work done on the car recently was a coolant flush and thermostat replacement. After they flushed the coolant they put the "normal green stuff" in instead of dex-cool. They said it was fine as long as they flushed the system. The only problem I noticed is that people on here said that if there is any brown residue left inside from the dex-cool then you can not change it, and there is still dex-cool residue on the coolant stick. Could this be why it happened, or somehow related to it or is this just something completely seperate.

Thanks.

Re: Lifter ticking? Sluggish throttle...

yup, your lifter is clogged

i bet when it is ticking, your exhaust sounds pretty weird also. its because your valve is either not opening, or opening very little

i would recommend an oil change, go out for a long drive and see if you can clear the dirt out, if it STILL ticks then i would try to use seafoam, but ONLY use it as a last resort.. i had the same problem and my ticking went away after about 500 miles on new oil.

check your oil dipstick and see what the color of the oil is, also take the oil filler cap off and see if it is milky in color.

personally i dont believe that this problem has anything to do with your coolant getting changed... but check anyways

Comment

Would this make my throttle very slow? The car almost putters like its going to die while accelerating when its ticking.

Comment

Originally posted by cantrip View Post
        Would this make my throttle very slow? The car almost putters like its going to die while accelerating when its ticking.
        yes, one of your valves isnt opening all the way, you are basically running on 5 1/2 cylinders

once the ticking stops, the car acts 100% normal, correct?

if i were you, i would change the oil right now, and put some cheapo oil in there (or if you dont mind the cost, the oil you usually use) and drive it around for a bit.. like i said, it took my tick 500 miles to go away (only ticked on start up)

if the ticking doesnt go away, then you can try to use seafoam in your crank, but like i said, use it as a last resort.. if that doesnt work, then you will have to replace the lifters.. or at least take them out and clean them (but if you are going this far, you might as well replace them)

im assuming it is also a very loud tick? just be careful, and dont drive to hard on it before you get it fixed, you can do a ton of damage.. i usually let my car idle for about 10 min before driving till the tick went away

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X