WTF? (gas mileage)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF? (gas mileage)

Alright, babying my car I get 20 or MPG. This is easing into the throttle, shifting at 2500RPMS, coasting as much as possible, etc etc. Now, I just got 23MPG; and that's with me racing around town, taking off hard and quick, maybe even a few street matches. Can anyone explain this? Full bolt-on 97 M5 Camaro with 3.73's and untuned cam. Only thing I can think of is maybe I'm maxing out my injectors, so I run lean while I'm "racing" around town. Any other thoughts? I have 26.5# LS1 injectors in, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the low-mid 90's on duty cycle, maybe more now due to the cooler weather.
    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
    A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Re: WTF? (gas mileage)

I've got a near stock 3.8 auto and average 21MPG, so don't be complaining, especially with gas so cheap. I managed to fill from less than 1/4 tank for $32.

Comment

I've got a 99 3.8 Camaro 5 speed. I shift normally at around 2500. Sometimes higher, depending on the mood I'm in. I almost always get 27-30 mpg in the city. On the highway, it's usually 30-33 mpg depending on my speed. The car is almost all stock too.

Comment

Try looking around for some 36# GTP injectors? Don't want to run too lean.

Didn't you get a wideband a while ago?
        '99 Camaro
        '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
        '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Originally posted by Shad0wguy View Post
          I've got a near stock 3.8 auto and average 21MPG, so don't be complaining, especially with gas so cheap. I managed to fill from less than 1/4 tank for $32.
          I'm not complaining, I'm wondering why there's such a difference, and I'm getting better mileage beating on the car?!

Originally posted by XxNovaSS1971xX View Post
          I've got a 99 3.8 Camaro 5 speed. I shift normally at around 2500. Sometimes higher, depending on the mood I'm in. I almost always get 27-30 mpg in the city. On the highway, it's usually 30-33 mpg depending on my speed. The car is almost all stock too.
          See, mine's not stock; far from it. full bolt-ons and an untuned cam.

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
          Try looking around for some 36# GTP injectors? Don't want to run too lean.

Didn't you get a wideband a while ago?
          I'm looking for some injectors; actually found a set, but have no money. Car needs new tires, shocks, and brakes; those are probably abit more important than bigger injectors. And I don't have a wideband either:( Nor HPT at that :(
          ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
          A few things

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer View Post
            I'm not complaining, I'm wondering why there's such a difference, and I'm getting better mileage beating on the car?!
            Theres more than driving slowly to get good gas mileage. You need to experiment to find out what sort of style maximizes your engine's efficiency.

And believe it or not, accelerating as slowly as possible generally isnt it! You have to find the sweet spot.

Comment

That's true about finding the "sweet spot" in your driving to get better mileage. I have a 91 Cavalier Z24 with the 3.1 auto, as well as my Camaro. For the last year or so the rings on the Z24 have been showing signs of wearing out; oil in the air filter... There is another sensor I need to replace, as the car runs like **** 50% of the time and I have to drive with two feet at idling speeds sometimes. The car only gets on average 20 mpg! It used to get 26-28 mpg before the rings started taking a **** and before it was running bad. (Yes, A very recent tune up and senor change has been done) Recently, I took a trip from here in Iowa, all the way to Lexington, KY (800 miles). I drove at night when it was cool and set the cruise at 62-63 mph. At that pace I was getting almost 28 mpg!

Comment

I would suggest looking into new tires and fixing brakes. A quality pad can dramatically help with that. There was a set of GTP injectors for sale somewhere around here, but before you go tuning anymore I would suggest you get a wideband. LS1tech is running an awesome group purchase on some PLX widebands that has been going on since last June. But yeah, kind of hard to invest in stuff without money.
                '99 Camaro
                '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Originally posted by XxNovaSS1971xX View Post
                  That's true about finding the "sweet spot" in your driving to get better mileage. I have a 91 Cavalier Z24 with the 3.1 auto, as well as my Camaro. For the last year or so the rings on the Z24 have been showing signs of wearing out; oil in the air filter... There is another sensor I need to replace, as the car runs like **** 50% of the time and I have to drive with two feet at idling speeds sometimes. The car only gets on average 20 mpg! It used to get 26-28 mpg before the rings started taking a **** and before it was running bad. (Yes, A very recent tune up and senor change has been done) Recently, I took a trip from here in Iowa, all the way to Lexington, KY (800 miles). I drove at night when it was cool and set the cruise at 62-63 mph. At that pace I was getting almost 28 mpg!
                  bad rings wont cause oil on the air filter that sounds more like a PCV problem

Comment

i noticed that too,,,the faster i drive,the more i save,,,i guess when you baby the car the throttle buterfly dont open too much and enough air dont go in.................i dont know,,maybe im talking crap....

Comment

Originally posted by IceHammer View Post
                      Theres more than driving slowly to get good gas mileage. You need to experiment to find out what sort of style maximizes your engine's efficiency.

And believe it or not, accelerating as slowly as possible generally isnt it! You have to find the sweet spot.
                      I realize that; however, easing into the throttle (still taking off abit quicker then most) and shifting lower shouldn't get lower mileage then spinning it up to 5500 everywhere.

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
                      I would suggest looking into new tires and fixing brakes. A quality pad can dramatically help with that. There was a set of GTP injectors for sale somewhere around here, but before you go tuning anymore I would suggest you get a wideband. LS1tech is running an awesome group purchase on some PLX widebands that has been going on since last June. But yeah, kind of hard to invest in stuff without money.
                      Tires, brakes, and shocks are being taken car of this weekend, followed by an alignment next week; plugs and wires were just change 2wks ago, and oil was changed yesterday. The GTP injectors on here are the ones I was talking about earlier :P. Like I said, I've love to get them, but cash is a big problem ATM :(
                      ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                      A few things

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X