engine smoking air bag light????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine smoking air bag light????

hey all, so i took the bird out earlier tonight and everything was well. It was about 30 degrees out and i let her warm up and everything. then, out of nowhere, i start seeing my engine smoke and then my air bag light came on. i only drove it for 10 minutes and by the end of it my air bag light was blinking. I thought i noticed a tinking of what seemed like the belt the night before, but didnt think anything like this was going to happen. I will go out tomorrow and see if i see anything. However, does anyone have any suggestions as to what it is or what i can look for when i start her up tomorrow?

thanks

Re: engine smoking air bag light????

o yeah, i forgot to mention. my battery gauge, or whatever it is called, looked as if it was overloaded. usually it stays a little under the yellow and usually oscillates a little. but when the car was acting up, the needle for the battery gauge was as high as it could go, and it wasnt moving a bit. weird stuff is going on and i have no idea what it is? any help would be appreciated!

Comment

did your car overheat?

you would have noticed if your belt broke off..you would have lost power steering, etc.

Comment

Are you sure it was 'engine' smoke and not 'electrical' smoke?

I am not sure how the wiring is hooked-up on these but its possible a voltage regulator went and it was letting the alternator go to town and overcharge the entire system.

This just happened recently on my brother-in-laws Jeep. Took out the computer because the voltage was pumping straight from the alternator into the computer at about 19 volts. The Jeep is now down waiting a new computer.

Like I said, I am not sure how the wiring on these things run but its possible the situations could be similar. Food for thought

Comment

no, it didnt overheat. I started her up today and let her idle for a while. Everything was fine. Then once i started to pull out the driveway, the same thing happened with the air bag light and the battery gauge. Then again i saw the white smoke. I looked under the hood and noticed that there was a lot of yellow fluid sprayed all over and behind the alternator. Then i noticed the hose that connects right below the alternator had a hole in it. Does anyone know what this hose is? and if i gave the car gas would it cause the fluid to spray out of this hose? or is the fluid coming from elsewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by jleasure View Post
            no, it didnt overheat. I started her up today and let her idle for a while. Everything was fine. Then once i started to pull out the driveway, the same thing happened with the air bag light and the battery gauge. Then again i saw the white smoke. I looked under the hood and noticed that there was a lot of yellow fluid sprayed all over and behind the alternator. Then i noticed the hose that connects right below the alternator had a hole in it. Does anyone know what this hose is? and if i gave the car gas would it cause the fluid to spray out of this hose? or is the fluid coming from elsewhere?

sounds like coolant.. IIRC there are little plastic elbows around there that go bad.

the smoke is coming from the coolant steaming, and you are probably spraying it everywhere shorting the connections out.. just a thought

Comment

Sounds like the regulator in the Alt. took a dump and your volts are running like 18 or so and is over powering your electrical system.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                sounds like coolant.. IIRC there are little plastic elbows around there that go bad.

the smoke is coming from the coolant steaming, and you are probably spraying it everywhere shorting the connections out.. just a thought
                Yeah, thats what im thinking but im not too sure whether the hose is coolant or something else. I think they might be the heater hoses? here is a picture of the hose. sorry about the red part, i found this image on google images. I circled the hose with a green circle.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jleasure View Post
                  Yeah, thats what im thinking but im not too sure whether the hose is coolant or something else. I think they might be the heater hoses? here is a picture of the hose. sorry about the red part, i found this image on google images. I circled the hose with a green circle.
                  yes exactly

from what i have seen, these elbows are a little hard to find.

i havent really looked in person but im pretty sure they do to to the heater core

Comment

ya, that's a coolant hose. Make sure it's on there tight; I had mine blow off going down the interstate and had to coast/baby it the next 10 miles to a gas station without it overheatings. I'm not too sure where to pick one up though...
                    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                    A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X