Idle & Oil Pressure Drops when put in neutral to stop! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idle & Oil Pressure Drops when put in neutral to stop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle & Oil Pressure Drops when put in neutral to stop!

Today I replaced my whole throttle with a new looking, used throttle body from a 01 Camaro 3.8. Mine is a 99 with a 3.8, 5 speed. Three weeks ago the throttle positioning sensor took a crap on me and wouldn't allow the car to make it anywhere, much less, run good. So I bought a used one with a new gasket from GM.

I just installed it. At first the car ran a little rough from sitting so long. I took it for a drive down the road until it was completely warmed up. However, I noticed, when I would stop at the stop lights in town, the idle would drop to 500 rpm, then back up to the normal 800rpm, then bounce down a little, then it would stay at 800rpm. When I got back home, I left the car running to listen to everything. The engine sounded like it should. The exhaust looked fine....but has the tiniest misfire to it. I only heard it from the exhaust pipes. The idle was stock still at 800rpm, where it normally is, and was not moving. The engine sounded as smooth as silk.

This same problem happened to me 9 months ago. I drove the car daily until the motor started stalling out. Same thing would happen; idle and oil pressure drop, then dead. This would happen when I would put it in neutral to stop. After a few weeks of asking the right people, I was told the motor was being leaned out from the o2 sensors upstream and downstream of the catyletic converter. A year prior to that, the converter clogged up, so my husband replaced it with a straight pipe. I was told the sensors were bad and were leaning out the motor, causing it to stall. So I bought a NEW converter from Jeggs (It was one big piece, from the Y-pipe down), new Magna Flow muffler and new o2 sensors. After it was professionally installed, I never had a lick of problems from it, up until 3 weeks ago.

So, my big question is: Can anyone tell me what's going on with this car?? I've explained the best I could. Any questions, please ask. I would really appreciate some response. Thank You! :-)

Re: Idle & Oil Pressure Drops when put in neutral to stop!

do you have any leaks? oil, coolant?
    you could have a vaccumm leak also. check all the connections of the hard black thinnish plastic tubes. you can listen for a whistle sound sometimes, depends tho.
    Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

Re: Idle &amp; Oil Pressure Drops when put in neutral to stop!

What do you mean by, "hard black thinnish plastic tubes" ? When I put it back together earlier, everything was where it should be. No halfass connections anywhere. A neighbor said it was probably the catyiletic converter partly blocking the exhaust since white smoke was only coming from one pipe in back, instead both, like it's set up to do. Yes, white smoke came from the exhaust when i started it up. After I drove it, the smoke was gone. My neighbor saw it when i started it up. Also, it had a squeak to the motor area, but I think that was from the brand new belt my mechanic installed 3 weeks ago when it was running. The car was only drove 1 mile after the belt was put on. After my test drive today, the squeak was gone and the engine was smooth and noise free.

Comment

I was wondering if maybe my new o2 sensor in the exhaust may be fouled up again? Is that possible? 3 weeks ago when the TPS went bad, It almost left me stranded. I had to drive it back 1/4 mile to my house, and all the while it was running with the "Engine Lacking Power" light on, and no matter how much gas I'd give it, the rpms never moved.

Comment

I understand your past but not the future,but if your problem is what your title says then first thing it is obvious when your Idle drops your Oil pressure would,because your oil pump is engine driven,but the cutting out has nothing to do with O2 sensors,first off have the throttle position checked to make sure it is within the values and also operating when moved from closed throttle to open,also did you get your throttle position phased in (adjusted if possible on your vehicle)what controls the Idle when coming to a stop is the Idle Air Control Valve there is where you should start after having the Throttle position checked.

Comment

some of the vacuumm lines are "little in diameter" plastic tubes
            Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X