Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird starting/electrical issue

Hi everyone,

I'm having a weird issue with my car lately. For 8 years, I drove my car daily with no starting issues ever. Now that I use it only once a week, it has given me occasional problems. This problem that I've been experience happens about 25% of the time.

Whereas it would start right away, it now cranks for 1-2 seconds before starting and the clock reads "12:00", as if the battery were disconnected. I checked the battery connections and they feel tight enough.

While not a huge issue, it does force me to redo all the radio settings, clock and pre-sets. What should I look at? The battery is a Red Top that is almost 5 years old and the alternator is about the same age.

Thanks all!

Re: Weird starting/electrical issue

Time for a new battery.
    Red 96' A4 Firebird
    Audio Audio and Autotek
    Check it out here!

Comment

Def time for a new battery. Always replace them at 5 years or less. Also, make sure that the terminals on the cables are corrosion free.
      2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

sounds just like corrosion on the terminals

a battery that is bad enough to lose your clock settings will NOT start your car

try cleaning the terminals and putting some grease on them and see if the problem still persists before you go out and spend money on a new battery

Comment

Battery or battery connection is bad.

Comment

Grabbed a multimeter and the battery is testing at 12.42 with the car off and about 13 to 13.8 with the car running.

I had to run out real quick but I'll check and clean the terminals and make sure they are tight. Giving it a quick look, it looked clean enough (no white/green powder).

Comment

Sounds like the battery and alternator are ok. Must be a bad connection somewhere.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X