water under hood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water under hood?

i'm thinking about going out and cleaning up under the hood right now and i had a question... can i just pop the hood and hose everything down or will i completely **** something up? my dad said you have to cover certain things up before you do that so they don't get wet but didn't know what there was. i don't have an owner's manual, so i can't look in there or anything. i was wondering if anybody could answer this for me. thanks.
    1996 Pontiac <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">Firebird</a> <br />Black, 3.8L A4

im no expert but i cant forsee too much if any problems, especially if it is not hot, i do it all the time, and have NEVER had a problem, hot and cold
    92 25th rally sport garage baby, 97 30th rally sport, 01 camaro garage baby. obsessive compulsive camaro fan. id rather push a camaro then drive a rice burner.

Comment

I haven't had a problem before spraying under the hood before. The only thing that I tried to avoid directly hitting was my alternator. Everything else I sprayed the Degunk on and sprayed away... BUT be careful.
      98 Silver Camaro V6<br />15.238 @91.74 w/ 2.288 60\'<br />Mods: K&N, FTRA, Pacesetter Headers, Spec 3 Clutch, 160 Thermo, TSP Rumbler, 3\" Catco, Whisper Lid, 3.42\'s w/LSD, Aluminum DS, Man Fan Switch<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain

Comment

alright, thanks guys. i wasn't planning on blasting it with a power washer or anything, just a quick spraydown with a hose, then some wiping and detailing and such.
        1996 Pontiac <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">Firebird</a> <br />Black, 3.8L A4

Comment

best thing is some greased lightning. There are some brands of engine degreaser out there that work really well, but you have to cover things up, forget exactly what they are though
          Stephen Cruikshank<br /><br />Selling some stuff so all I have left is the FRA, !MAF Screen, whisper lid, Holley PowerShot, 3\" catback, and 160* thermo on the car<br /><br />I Practice Street S.M.A.R.T.S. - do you?

Comment

i wouldnt risk it. i would just spend the time and do it by hand
            2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

I thought it wasnt a good idea to spray the enging while it was hot [img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img]

Comment

well, i just got done doing it. everything was fine though. i sprayed everything down lightly and then wiped it all by hand. the engine wasn't hot, so no worries there. and after it being all wet, it started right up and ran great just like always.

Comment

glad it worked out. i would never risk it. i can just imagine the BS that would happen after i did it.

Comment

eh... i wasn't too worried about it considering it rains almost every day here and since my accident, water gets up under my hood every day that it rains... the hood is all busted up and peeled back on the driver's side and water gets in all the time.

Comment

o'

Comment

I just cover the alternator with a plastic bag from the grocery store, and keep the spraying to a minimum. No problems so far.
                        2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

I just use gunk.
                          2005 Cavalier LS Sport M5<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/firefighter8615\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/firefighter8615</a>

Comment

dude, next time you do it, cover the alt., the coils and ICM, and your PCM wit saran wrap. ive washed my engine twice with a hose, and both times ive had water in the coils cause a misfire.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian:
                              dude, next time you do it, cover the alt., the coils and ICM, and your PCM wit saran wrap. ive washed my engine twice with a hose, and both times ive had water in the coils cause a misfire.
                              Yea, basically cover anything electrical, the fuse box too.
                              I just bought a can of Black Magic 2-in-1 engine degreaser and shine. Works GOOD! It states no wrapping required, though I was careful not to get it on the drive belt. I wiped the everything, including the plastics and it looks Nice! [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img]
                              1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                                by ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                                1 week ago
                              • RPDRed6
                                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                                by RPDRed6
                                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • ssms5411
                                No start problem
                                by ssms5411
                                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X