What are the signs of a bad alternator? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the signs of a bad alternator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the signs of a bad alternator?

WHAT are the signs of a bad alternator?
    <b>*§*Julian*§*</b><br />*~*~*~<br />2000 Grand Prix GTP -Daytona 500 Edition (only 2000 made) - Supercharged 3.8L V6<br /><br />1998 3.8L V6 A4 Firebird w/ W68 package, Y87, T-TOPS!<br /><br /><a href=\"http://myweb.usf.edu/~jadidona/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">MY SITE - CHECK IT!</a>

On my '94, the CHECK GAUGES light would always come on, along w/reduced volts on the meter (usually 10 or so). As it gets worse, you get ABS INOP lights, etc. If you have an A4, it may not want to shift into 4th (OD), since it's also electronically-controlled.
    2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

one other thing is that it will squeel really loud, that means the bearings are seizing! :D
      99 Firebird Vert, Pewter Metalic<br />Fast Toys Ram Air<br />Jet Stage 2 Chip<br />17x8 Mille Miglia Emotion II Plus\'<br />wrapped in 245/35/17 Yokohama A520<br />Rhino Perf. Exhaust<br />K&N air filter<br />check pics at:<br /><a href=\"http://www.fastrides.com/members/v6birdy/\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.fastrides.com/members/v6birdy/</a>

Comment

Mine went out and the power gauge just slowly went down, the check gauages light went on, I was on the freeway, so eventually all the lights dimmed and went out, the abs inop and airbag inop lights were on, blinkers wouldn't work, so I pulled over and the idle was about 5000 RPMS. SO i just turned it off. If your charge dies while the car is running, its your alternator. If your car starts and runs fine, but won't restart, its your battery. But, hey go get it checked at checkers or autozone for free!!
        1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
        1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

It will not charge your battery enough to start your car, watch your pwer guage it will dip down, fluctuate alot with reves, will change charging range, without turning anything on or off and keeping motor at a consistent revs, and my ABS inop light ALWAYS came on, I never saw check guages or anyhting else.

Check all your connections to everything, battery, and alternator, clean them up, then take the car to autozone they will test it for free.

Comment

In some vehicles it will make the radio produce squeeling sounds when you are listening to it...it will be mostly heard on am stations tho.
            1995 Firebird 3.4L<br /><a href=\"http://kansas.no-ip.com/\" target=\"_blank\">My Site</a>

Comment

if your tachometer starts freakin out and goin all over the place find a place to pull over because its about to go dead :D

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                by ssms5411
                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                1 week ago
              • RPDRed6
                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                by RPDRed6
                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                3 weeks ago
              • ssms5411
                No start problem
                by ssms5411
                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X