car trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car trouble

I was speeding yesterday not much around 80mph. I slowed down to about 70 when there was this crack in the road(I couldn't avoid it) but when I went over It didn't feel rough or like I hit anything. After about 10 mins of driving my check engine light starts flashing, I turned down the radio(was blasting) and the engine was knocking! the Car turned off I pulled over. Engine was overheating, I let it cool down for about 30 mins then I took a look at the coolant and it was all gone. I know for sure that it was a little bit low but not that bad for it to over heat. Then I noticed a small trail of liquid from my car and get down and see a small amounts of coolant leaking from the radiator area couldn't really tell it was dark.

So I got it towed home and of course now the car won't start. I guess engine locked up.

So what can I do now? Even if I add more coolant, it leaks out not all of it but a substantial amount of it. Engine will not turn over, crank is weak.

I checked the engine oil to see if water got into the engine and no the oil is still a good black not the honey color if water gets in.

Help guys? I don't know alot about this so please be specific thanks.
    1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
    1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
    1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
    2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Re: car trouble

I personally don't think the crack in the road had anything to do with your problem, unless a rock kicked up and did some damage to the rad.

If you ask me, I'd guess that the engine is shot from running it without coolant. Even if it does start, it may have some issues with internal parts that were cooked. Although, who's to say?

Not sure what I'd try first...
    1- Get it running (if possible) and see what kind of damage you have. Then decide on what to do from there
    or
    2- Fix the coolant leak, then try to start it

I'd probably side with #1.
    sigpic

Comment

Pull the plugs and see if it turns over.
      sigpic

Comment

Tried to jump the car this morning but still dead.

Anymore ideas before I just take the engine out and look around for a replacement?
        1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
        1996 Chevy Camaro Z28

Comment

So, are you saying that you tried to jump it and it will not turn over at all?

Sounds like the engine is locked up.

If so, as mentioned earlier, remove all of the spark plugs and see if it will turn over then.

If it will not turn over at all then you have big problems.

Comment

i just had the same thing happen to me, except mine didnt lock up. just died, bad intake gaskets!(darn things)
            at any rate, when you try to turn it over does it even sound like its fireing?
            do a voltage drop test, check for spark, try to turn it by hand with the plugs out.
            Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Update-

Took plugs off tried to turn engine on by hand as advised but nothing. only weak cranking noise but engine will not turn over. i had a trusted mechanic take a look and he said for sure the engine is locked up.

options-
              rebuild motor 1200 bucks

i thought about LS1 swap now but way too many problems as im doing research on it.
              wiring harness, exhaust, PCM, v8 springs, fan&radiator, tranny, trottle system, fuel pump, blah blah too much work involved.

I don't want to get rid of the car because the body is in great condition just got it repainted too.

I was considering maybe a crate motor or a 350 engine I have off my truck.

any suggestions?
              1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
              1996 Chevy Camaro Z28

Comment

I'd think the LS1 would be an easier swap than the crate motor.

If you don't want the hassle of a larger engine, and you don't want to get rid of it, then there's only one option left...

This would be a good time to think about upgrades when rebuilding your engine.
                sigpic

Comment

ls1 will be much easier than a 350

Comment

what year is your car?

You can score running 3800 engines for cheap instead of rebuilding it
                    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

its a 98.
                      1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
                      1996 Chevy Camaro Z28

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life View Post
                        what year is your car?

You can score running 3800 engines for cheap instead of rebuilding it
                        Right; I paid $500 for a 25K mile, like new 3.8 from a 99 Camaro. Just keep your eyes open; watch craigslist, eBay, forums, etc. Widen the search some too; it's worth the hour drive to get it if it saves you a few hundred $$
                        ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                        A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer View Post
                          Right; I paid $500 for a 25K mile, like new 3.8 from a 99 Camaro. Just keep your eyes open; watch craigslist, eBay, forums, etc. Widen the search some too; it's worth the hour drive to get it if it saves you a few hundred $$
                          I am going to check local junk yards this weekend.

Where did you get yours?
                          1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
                          1996 Chevy Camaro Z28

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X