Royal Purple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Purple

Definitely recommend this oil to everyone! Just went from 18MPG to 23; only difference was I changed to RP 5w30 oil. Plus, the motor seems to rev up smoother and a bit quicker. If you haven't done it yet, do it; it's worth the $8.50/quart
    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
    A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Re: Royal Purple

i agree, my bro uses this oil and he loves it.

I'll be switching to RP after my cam break in period is over in the spring.

you can never have too good of an oil change.

btw, the filter is important too, mobil 1 or k&n gold class.

Comment

I too know a few people that use it and love it.
      I may try RP on my next oil change.
      sigpic

Comment

I use RP in the engine and in the rear end, great stuff . Run Valvoline dexron VI syn. in the tanny. When that needs to be changed I will use RP in there. Look on ebay motors they have pretty good deals , I just picked up 12 qts. of RP for $88.00 shipped.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

does the money saved in fuel help or hurt you compared to the price of the oil

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
            does the money saved in fuel help or hurt you compared to the price of the oil
            I'm coming up with it saving me $6 per tank; estimate I fill up 20x before I have to change the oil again, I'm saving $120 right there. Deduct the difference in price (I'll go with $3/quart; 5x3=$15 difference) you're coming ahead $105 every 5K miles.

When the time comes, I'll be running RP in everything :).
            ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
            A few things

Comment

I've been using Mobil full syn. with an added Lucas full syn. It worked pretty good, but I always wanted to try RP. I think I will next oil change.

Has anyone ever tried Redline full syn. I heard that's great too.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Thor View Post
                I've been using Mobil full syn. with an added Lucas full syn. It worked pretty good, but I always wanted to try RP. I think I will next oil change.

Has anyone ever tried Redline full syn. I heard that's great too.
                Never heard of redline. I tried out Mobil 1 convention (they don't stock Syn here :() before this, and it was an improvement over Quaker State, but not as big as RP over them both :)
                ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                A few things

Comment

I just got a case of RP 20w/50 for the $88 shipped on ebay. I was running 10w/30 but in AZ it doesn't get cold about 40-50 degress at night during winter and summer 110+ . So I hope this helps some, I know alot of people are against running 20w50 but I read up on it alot and even asked my dad who worked for GM for 40+ years and he said it should be fine to run.
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

5w 30 isn't that a bit thin, cause we usually use 10w 30 but right now my motor has bout 20k so it's pretty new.

Comment

I used to praise Royal Purple 10W30 until it reached 500 miles before the oil change interval at the 3000th mile. I've used this since 2006 with mixed opinions. My daily commute would be 106 highway miles round trip so 2 yrs ago I thought I'd experiment with synthetics first with a Royal Purple oil change at the end of each month religiously.

Why at 2500 miles? I noticed after 2500 miles my oil gauge would slowly dip below whats normally expected and the needle at or below 40 PSI sitting in heavy traffic to a point it actually makes my idle rough and I have to rev it just to keep the engine happy. I got fed up with the idle characteristics and in Summer 2007, I switched to Mobil 1 High Performance 10W30 and I'm much happier with the way it runs now. I wondered about the viscosity of RP after 2500 miles due to my commute primarily.

Another thing I noticed was the remains of Royal Purple in my engine messing with the new 5 quart infusion of Mobil 1 HP switchover. At times it did not idle right 'til the 2nd Mobil 1 HP oil change. It now runs way smooth after every Mobil 1 HP oil change for me therefore my Camaro may be just an isolated thing.

I have no ideas about Amsoil or other synthetics. I'm sure someone will write their experiences here soon. I also live in the Northeast where varying climate can affect oil life I'm assuming.

My Camaro has 275,000 miles now. Mobil 1 HP :rock:
                      Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

to 96rsalex- i feel you man i use fully syn mobil-1 (10w 30) but considering that your car has such high mileage the royal purple created too little friction which probably dropped the cylinder pressure which doesn't help since you already are loosing compression so probably if you go to a thicker weight of royal purple it may work better because it is a very well lubricated oil.

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer View Post
                          Never heard of redline.
                          Red Line is big in the racing world, and by all accounts right up there with RP in quality. I use their gear oils in the tranny and diff of my 240SX track car, but stick with Mobil1 in the engine, mostly because of the availability (usually have to order Red Line stuff). They also make a product called Water Wetter; if you run your car on the track at all, and need help with engine temps it will help noticeably.

Comment

my old man runs moblil 1 syn in his truck. he changes it every 6 months, regardless of mileage, and uses a fram filter. its a 1994 chevy c1500 with a 4.3 5 speed...313,000 on the odo. still drives it to work every day,and gets 20 miles to a gallon, no problems. i personally think the guy just takes good care of his stuff, i have never seen him dog on it, ever.
                            Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X