A/C problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C problems

My 1996 firebirds ac is not working. always had a small leak that i would have to refill every 3-4 months but always worked great when charged. the car sat unstarted for 8 weeks while it was having headgaskets replaced. now the a/c compressor does not even click on which was never a problem before. any help appreciated

Re: A/C problems

so even when you recharge it, it wont turn on?

if the pressure in the system gets too low it will not turn on

Comment

@tedstech,

Does the compressor make any noise between idle and say 1500 rpm? Have a friend rev your engine a bit (slow up to 1500 then off). Grinding sounds = bad clutch or possibly a bad bearing, basically new compressor will be needed. DO NOT GET A REFURB/USED COMPRESSOR!!! Get a new compressor... SERIOUSLY. I went through 3 or 4 refurbs before I got tired of taking the car to my guy's shop (refurb & labor was under warranty) and had him slap in a brand new one... Also are you sure it's actually charged and has pressure?

Also on a side note, once you do get it fixed and recharged why not correct the leak? Get it filled by a shop that can add in that UV reactant **** so you can run it for a while then have them use the UV light to see where it's leaking. Could be VERY cheap to fix and save you money in the long run. Also while new refrigerant R-134a is considered much safer there are still environmental concerns. Bull**** or not considering current politics it doesn't exactly give muscle cars a good name to go around polluting refrigerant when it may be a simple fix.
      sigpic

Comment

how is your compressor relay
        WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X