What do YOU prep you block for paint with? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do YOU prep you block for paint with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do YOU prep you block for paint with?

Not sure where to put this so I put it here

So do you guys do to prep a block, heads etc for paint?

As far as stuff lie the motor mounts, brackets, pulleys, watter pump etc etc soaking them in really really hot water and dawn dishwashin soap has worked very very well for me...some didnt even need paint and let me tell you some parts were diiirrrty..

But what about te block? What do you do?

I am thinking of taking it to the machine shop and having them dip it etc then paint it Chevy Orange using that high temp paint....

What do ysll think?
    99 Z28 M6...91 Z28 A4...84 Z28 A4

Re: What do YOU prep you block for paint with?

since you are taking your block apart, i would say dip it, it will get ALL of the crud off

jut take all of your bearings/freeze plugs out and have them dip it for you.. i was quoted $125 (i think) to have it cleaned and new cam bearings put in for a 302 v8.. so you should be a bit cheaper

i can tell you this though, i have an engine block that was dipped (it wasnt acid dipped but like a very hot water dip) and that thing looks BRAND new, i asked the guy if it was used, and he told me it had 120,000 miles on it, even looking at the cylinder walls through the freeze plugs looked spotless

here is two pics of how it came out:

Comment

Damn, that block is clean. :tup:

1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS
      New Trans Setup:Rebuilt 4L60E, Yank ST2800 Stall, B&M Trans Cooler,
      TCI Deep Pan, Royal Purple, Trans-go Shift Kit. Should be done in January.

Comment

I used Engine bright from Napa to clean mine before paint, but like Cam98aro said, if your going to take it all the way down to a bare block, id have it dipped.

Comment

I used Marine clean from the makers of POR15. I would have used POR 15's engine paint, but I didn't have any on hand. I ended up painting my block with duplicolor chevy orange and I used duplicolors primer as well. Its held up well so far.
          69 Camaro 350 4spd, Full Hotchkis susp, Baer brakes, moser 12 bolt, Flowmaster<br /><br />96 RS Hotchkis STB, subframe connectors, Hotchkis LCA and adj Panhard rod, SS camaro sway bars, Bilstein shocks, powerslot rotors, Borla exhaust, rksport headers, k@nFIPK

Comment

Well I cleaned off the gasket material and dropped the bock off at the machine shop to have it and the heads checked and cooked..gonna use the duplicolor as well....cant wait to paint it lol :P
            99 Z28 M6...91 Z28 A4...84 Z28 A4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X