Starter Assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Assistance

Anybody know an easy way to remove the starter. After doing some work on things it seems that my Starter was busted like a can of buscuits the whole time. How easy is it to remove that thing so I can take it to Advanced Auto Parts and get another 1

Re: Starter Assistance

It's pretty f'n easy. Take the shields off, they're just a few bolts and then I believe there are 2 larger vertical bolts. It just drops from there. Of course you'll have to take the nuts off the hot wire and such which is easier to do from what I remember when you get the starter unmounted.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

from what i remember.. take off wires going to starter, 2 bolts, and 1 inspection/flywheel cover

Comment

very easy task. just like blizzard said
        Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
          It's pretty f'n easy. Take the shields off, they're just a few bolts and then I believe there are 2 larger vertical bolts. It just drops from there. Of course you'll have to take the nuts off the hot wire and such which is easier to do from what I remember when you get the starter unmounted.
          I know this is an old thread, but I'm having starter trouble(I think) and I have no clue what I'm looking for when it comes to a starter or solenoid. Are you talking about the shields or plastic covers under the car on both sides?

Comment

Driver's side of the engine. Right behind the engine mount. The solenoid is connected to the starter.

What kind of problems are you having anyways?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I was having fuel pump trouble, and had bad wires on the pump that were driving me nuts! I finally fixed them and started the car a few times to make sure the pump was working good, and my starter decides to stop working(I think).

I have a new battery so power isn't a problem, but when I go to start the car nothing happens. No clicking or rolling over at all. I'm guessing it's from all the starting I have been doing the last couple of days trying to get this pump working properly. I want to have it tested at the store.

I was going off of my haynes manual for removing the starter and there werent any good pictures and no mention of the shields so I was at a lost trying to find it.

Comment

you can try tapping the solenoid, sometimes they get stuck, that will tell you if its the solenoid at least. good luck!

Comment

Yeah like I said, driver's side of the engine and into the bellhousing a little bit. You can definitely see some cables running to it down there. It's below the headers if that helps.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Alright I found it and replaced the starter. Unfortunately I couldn't test it because I took it apart and couldn't get it back together. I assumed after 137k it was definately the starter.

The car still wont start. When I turn the key (not all the way) the guages light up fuel pump works and everything seems fine. When I go to crank it the gauges move and get dark and there is silence. The car doesnt even try to start. Also the check engine light stays on and the security light stays on blinking.
                    Last edited by calliph; 01-03-2010, 02:29 PM.

Comment

So you replaced the starter and it's still doing the same thing? Have you checked your fuses? Was the solenoid replaced?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I swapped fuses to see and still the same thing. I replaced the whole starter unit. Also I don't know if you read it or not but I edited my post above. The lights go out except for my check engine light and the security light keeps blinking.

Comment

My car does that if the alarm is set off. It won't start for like 5 minutes. This is like a bcm problem or something.. You should make another thread about it to get better help cause I don't know jack about the whole security system.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Alright I will. Thanks for all the starter help.

Comment

Originally posted by calliph View Post
                              Alright I found it and replaced the starter. Unfortunately I couldn't test it because I took it apart and couldn't get it back together. I assumed after 137k it was definately the starter.

The car still wont start. When I turn the key (not all the way) the guages light up fuel pump works and everything seems fine. When I go to crank it the gauges move and get dark and there is silence. The car doesnt even try to start. Also the check engine light stays on and the security light stays on blinking.
                              that is a problem with the VATS system, not the starter

either the wires in your ign broke, or your key is dirty

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                                by ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                                1 week ago
                              • RPDRed6
                                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                                by RPDRed6
                                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • ssms5411
                                No start problem
                                by ssms5411
                                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X