How to increase mpg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to increase mpg?

Even driving like a granny I can never get more than 20mpg or abt 250-280 miles per tank. I have used fuel injector cleaner and replaced spark plugs what should I do next?
    RED 1995 CAMARO 3.4L<br />Moroso cai, ASP Underdrive Pulleys, B&M Shifter, Flowmaster 80-Series Muffler, Polygraphite Sway Bar Bushings, Endlinks, and Panhard Rod Bushings

Are you getting that from highway driving or city driving? I consistently get about 20mpg around town, and high 20's on the highway. I have a 94 3.4L A4. If that 20 is in the city, I think you are right where you should be Atleast, thats what my window sticker says it should be :D

Comment

I get about 21 in the city and I've gotten 29 on the highway before. It's usualy about 27 on the highway, though.

I'm not even going to speculate how to increase gas mileage. Even if you were able to "trick" your computer into decreasing the amount of fuel in the mix, the car will run like crap, foul plugs and make some nasty sounds.

I guess you could decrease weight. Get a fiberglass hood, take out the back seat, replace your factory (pretty heavy) seats with aftermarket. Get aluminium wheels (if you don't have them already) Stuff like that.

Why are you worried about it anyway? I mean, it's a sports car for cryin' out loud. Even though it's a V6, it's still pretty good displacement. You're either going to have to live with it, or buy some four-banger.

-Brian
      Maroon 1995 Camaro<br />No mods yet...<br />Lucky to have found this site!

Comment

i get 17mpg. and there are people getting worse then me. get better coils, plugs, wires, o2sensors try to use some sea foam from napa, here is a link on what to do http://w3.one.net/~roz/cars/z28/seafoam.html. Ease up on the gas some. I try that doesn't work to well for me.
        1995 Camaro 3.4 v6. Dead<br />1995 Trans Am FIPK.

Comment

Get a MSD DIS4. I don't have one myself, but I've been doing a lot of research because I had that same question. The installation guide on this website says that the DIS4 increased MPG on the test vehicle by 2-3 mpg. :D
          Like I said, I don't have the personal experience to say it definitely does that, but it sounds good to me!
          \'93 3.4L Camaro A4<br />*Some fat P245/50R16 tires<br />*K&N FIPK<br />*Taylor 8mm Spiro Pro\'s<br />*Borla catback<br /><a href=\"http://www.members.cox.net/constantine/Project%20Royalty.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Royal Webpage</a>

Comment

Royal it is true that it should help but is 2-3mpg really worth $300?

Comment

Gas mileage is another justifications for me having ram-air and my air lid. After I did those two mods, I get about 22mpg in the city, and a little over 30 on the highway when I;'m not going 100. Before I had 18 and 27 respectively. Just an idea.
              <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

I drive mostly (80%) on the highway. Would a clogged fuel filter lower my mpg? I say that b/c my car is sometimes hard to start and stumbles at highway speed every now and then. What about a clogged cat? My car has 90k with stock cat and smells strange(kinda like eggs) sometimes when car is idling in garage

[ April 22, 2002: Message edited by: srogersilkl ]</p>
                RED 1995 CAMARO 3.4L<br />Moroso cai, ASP Underdrive Pulleys, B&M Shifter, Flowmaster 80-Series Muffler, Polygraphite Sway Bar Bushings, Endlinks, and Panhard Rod Bushings

Comment

Things to try...

plugs/wires
                  oil/fluid change
                  engine/fuel system cleaner
                  tire pressure (went up 2mpg going from 30psi to 37psi)
                  intake/exhaust/pullys will also increase your milage ;)

carldev
                  1996 Firebird Y87<br />Dark Green

Comment

Well sroger I had the same simptoms as you did except the egg smell. I had a bad fuel pump. You can try changing your fuel filter first. I had mine changed quickly after I got my car and the mechanic said he couldn't even blow air through it.

Comment

weight reduction: remove spare tire/jack, remove rear seat unless you need it, replace front seats w/ racing seats, aluminum driveshaft(less drivetrain losses, les weight), Bmr chrome-moly k-member, fiberglass hood,
                      drivetrain/power: whisper lid, K&N air filter, remove maf screen, msd-dis-4, coil packs, wires, spark plugs, smaller rear gears, taller tires, exhaust(cat-back, cut-out, or both), and roll up the windows when driving.
                      2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />T-Tops, 3.42 rear gear stock<br />Mods:K&N Air Filter,Whisper Air Induction Lid, maf screen removed, raised air box, Kumho Ecsta 712 255-50-ZR16 tires, BMR stb<br />Mods not installed yet: FTRA, SLP Lsd/Differential cover<br />Near Future Mods: HPP3, GMMG 3\" Exhaust , 1LE Swaybars, Transgo Shift Kit, MSD-DIS-4 w/ Accel Coil-Packs, Turquoise Blue Neon Underbody Kit, BMR Adj. LCA\'s, G2 Sfc\'s & V-braces, Pacesetter headers

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Royal it is true that it should help but is 2-3mpg really worth $300? <hr></blockquote>

Depends on how much you drive each year. If you're a big commuter, then hell yes it is worth it. The thing will pay for itself eventually. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                        \'93 3.4L Camaro A4<br />*Some fat P245/50R16 tires<br />*K&N FIPK<br />*Taylor 8mm Spiro Pro\'s<br />*Borla catback<br /><a href=\"http://www.members.cox.net/constantine/Project%20Royalty.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Royal Webpage</a>

Comment

!IAT sensor. It helped me a bit in the MPG part. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Patrick Javert:
                            weight reduction: remove maf screen<hr></blockquote>

yeah that extra 1.5 grams will KILL your MPG.
                            [img]smile.gif[/img] kidding, kidding [img]smile.gif[/img]
                            ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 99Camaro99:
                              !IAT sensor. It helped me a bit in the MPG part. [img]smile.gif[/img] <hr></blockquote>

Ahh, you must mean another sensor, cause your car wouldn't run for very long w/out the IAT sensor plugged in. Trust me, i know........LOL!

Scott

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                                by ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                                1 week ago
                              • RPDRed6
                                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                                by RPDRed6
                                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • ssms5411
                                No start problem
                                by ssms5411
                                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                                4 weeks ago
                              • SixShooter'00Camaro
                                Revival
                                by SixShooter'00Camaro
                                Working on getting my 99 Camaro back in action. Long story short, got parked in the garage about 5 years ago (kids, career stuff ect.) trying to get her...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X