How to increase mpg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Scott Black:

Ahh, you must mean another sensor, cause your car wouldn't run for very long w/out the IAT sensor plugged in. Trust me, i know........LOL!

Scott
    <hr></blockquote>

scott what are you talking about? The sensor is plugged into a resistor instead of the actual sensor. It's just tricking the computer.

Comment

The rotten egg smell from the cat could be a high sulfur content. I can't remember what year your car is, but cheaper gasoline would have higher sulfur in it. The new emmissions do not start until 2004 (Unless you live in CA), I think it is 300 ppm sulfur and 2007 it is like 100, then somewhere around 30-50 ppm. For instance, Mobil has the highest sulfur content in their gasoline, somewhere around 450-500 ppm currently.

[img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
      Zaino; FireBatCave Decals; Red Inside<br /><br />K&N Filter & Lid; Removed MAF screen; FRA; Raised Air Box; 180°F Stat; BMR STB; 3\" Catco & S-pipe; Borla Cat-Back; O2 Sim; HPPIII; NGK TR55s; Taylor 8mm wires<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/cbass300\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/cbass300</a>

Comment

I wish I could get more than 17mpg at least one day out of the year....*sigh*

:(
        Big cam. Big stall. Big nuts.<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.streetlethal.net/vids2/joenastycam.MPG\" target=\"_blank\">Idle/Rev Clip.</a>

Comment

THE CHEAPEST EASIEST WAY TO BETTER MPG IS TO MAKE SURE YOU TIRES ARE INFLATED PROPERLY. If they are are than I would say around 19-21 in town is not bad.
          I have made a lot of money in my life, most of which I spent on cars and women.<p>The rest I have blown.

Comment

Even though everyone has asked it, no one has answered it. Is your driving city/clogged traffic, or is it going down the highway at 65-75 mph? When I am around town or in a lot of traffic, I only get between 17-21, but when I burn a whole tank of gas at 60 I get over 30, and when I stay at around 75, I get 28 or so. But I didn't know that cold air intake and ram air can get that much improvement in mpg. Sounds like my next mad after the exhaust.
            1995 Firebird 3.8 A4, 140,000 miles and going strong<br />Basically Stock, college=poor <p>Junior Mechanical Engineering Student: Milwaukee School of Engineering; Cpl, MN Army National Guard...just got promoted :)

Comment

get an import :D and get 300+ miles to the tank.
              1996 Honda Civic Hatch<p><a href=\"http://www.jspek.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.jspek.com</a>

Comment

Please note, I do not believe a fiberglass hood can take a hit like our stock, metal hood.

dave

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gandhibrokemyskates:
                  get an import :D and get 300+ miles to the tank.<hr></blockquote>

Eh? I get ~350 miles to the tank.
                  1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

Fuel filter, tire pressure and your driving habits are the three main ways to increase MPG - that and driving downhill with the wind! :D
                    I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                    CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                    FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

Also, if you USED to get better MPG and it's been a while since you changed your O2 sensor, then you should change the O2...BTW I get ~25mpg average.
                      1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

For a while after I got my new cat. converter I was getting somewhere around 315 miles on a full tank and thats between highway and city. But in the last couple of months I've been getting no more then 220. I think I'm going to have to replace the fuel filter and damn expensive 02 sensors again.
                        1994 Camaro<br />3.4L V6 Automatic<br />K&N FIPK&Gold Oil Filter,Ravin Performance Exhaustw/Dynomax MandrelBent3\"I-Pipe&S Pipe&Catco 3\" HiFlow Cat.,ASP Crank and High AMP Alternator,U.D. Pulley Set, Bosch Spark Plugs and Oxygen Sensors, Taylor Wires, B&M E.ShiftPlus, 160 thermostat,Zexel Torsen L.S.D., CSI Remote Mount Electric Water Pump & Temp. Controller & Flex Hoses, ALM. Drivshaft, Diamond SubFram Conn.<br />COMING SOON: 350 or 502 RAMJET ENGINE & Big Block Hood<br />NJ V6 F-Body Club<br /><a href=\"http://tristategm.com/NJFbV6/\" target=\"_blank\">http://tristategm.com/NJFbV6/</a><br />Street Lethal F-Body Association <br /><a href=\"http://www.slfba.com./index.html\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.slfba.com./index.html</a>

Comment

I heard changing thermostat to lower increases gas milage. I think cardinal said he noticed a difference... then again I might have the wrong guy there. Also keep tires inflated (already said).... what's correct psi for tires?
                          2002 Silver Metallic A4 Firebird - All Options
                          Hotchkis STB, Custom Madrel Bent 3" Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Whisper Lid, FT Ram Air, K&N Air Filter, D2S HID, Baer Rotors, !EGR, !MAF, 10% tint, Parrot CK3300

Your Mom or My Dad?

Comment

I'd pay extra for gas before I was trendy enough to get an import.

I took a road trip last summer and was getting nearly 34mpg at a steady 65-70!!!! I'm way happy to get about 18.5-19 around town so I wouldn't be complaining....
                            1994 Camaro 3.4L M5 R.I.P.<br />You know what they say- a small engine means big... errr... e/t\'s<br /><a href=\"http://www.pbase.com/rrj72/the_accident\" target=\"_blank\">www.pbase.com/rrj72/the_accident</a><p>replaced with: red 97 A4 vert (my brothers as soon as i find my REAL replacement)<p>soon to come: 1969 RS/SS<p>\"All you need are the esentials: scented candles, massage oil, and Berry White write that down.\" -Van Wilder

Comment

I have a 95 camaro with the 3.4 with 148000 miles on it and is all stock and round town i get 20-22. i live around pittsburg pa and go to the outer banks NC and get 30-33 on the highway witch i think is great.

Comment

I drive 65-75 most of the time on the highway and b/c of a new job I drive even more on the highway(about 90-95%). The first thing I have done since my first post was check my tire pressure and all but one were 32psi. I went ahead and increased to 35 all around to see if I notice a diff. I already have everything suggested (cai, exhaust, and underdrive pulleys). No one has really answered if a clogged fuel filter would lower mpg. Does anyone know? The reason I suspect it is b/c of occasional hesitation and stumbling on highway.
                                RED 1995 CAMARO 3.4L<br />Moroso cai, ASP Underdrive Pulleys, B&M Shifter, Flowmaster 80-Series Muffler, Polygraphite Sway Bar Bushings, Endlinks, and Panhard Rod Bushings

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                  Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                                  by ssms5411
                                  Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                                  1 week ago
                                • RPDRed6
                                  For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                                  by RPDRed6
                                  Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                                  3 weeks ago
                                • ssms5411
                                  No start problem
                                  by ssms5411
                                  So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X