Car starts, runs for a few seconds, then quits? I need help! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car starts, runs for a few seconds, then quits? I need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car starts, runs for a few seconds, then quits? I need help!

1994 Camaro 3.4L 5 speed 240,000 miles. I am having a hard time getting the car to start to begin with. It takes two or three times before the car will start, and these long starting sessions are taking their toll on my starter lol. I've had to replace it about 3 times because it takes sooo long for the car to start. After the car starts, it runs for about 25 seconds before the idle begins to drop, finally causing the engine to shut off. Then I can restart it and the engine will continue to do this until the temperature reaches the normal operating temp. Sometimes the vehicle will still contine to shut off on me. The car will run as long as I have the accelerator pressed but as soon as I let off the engine idles down.

This is becoming more of a problem every day. I recently changed the plugs, wires, cleaned my egr valve, and cleaned my air filters. This problem however has been occuring before I did the previous changes. I am beginning to think this is a fuel pump problem from what I've already read. I am going to try replacing the fuel filter as its about time to change it again. I had the fuel pressure checked approximately 2 years ago by a local shop as I don't know how to do this and was informed that the fuel pressure was fine while the engine was running. The shop said the "check valve" was not holding pressure as it should though. They explained this to me as a valve that holds the pressure as the vehicle is starting. Not sure if there is such a valve but that's what I was told.

The coils were also replace about 2 years ago so I believe they are fine. I don't really know what the problem is but I need it fixed as the car is a daily driver. Anyone have any ideas?

Re: Car starts, runs for a few seconds, then quits? I need help!

i doubt it is the fuel pump

if you start it, and press on the gas pedal, will it still stall, or will it run fine?

Comment

If I press the gas after the car starts, the car runs fine as if nothing is wrong. As soon as I let off the gas pedal, the car idles down and dies.

Comment

also, are any of the fuel pumps interchangeable? ie: 3.4 / 3.8 / LT1 / LS1

Comment

This does not sound like a fuel pump problem to me. This sounds like an Idle Air Control issue to me.

Comment

i was gonna say iat or maf...the iat is cheaper i believe.
            Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Originally posted by nascar24jd View Post
              This does not sound like a fuel pump problem to me. This sounds like an Idle Air Control issue to me.
              thats what i was thinking also

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
              IAT is around $35 IIRC

Comment

I would also check your vacuum lines for cracks etc.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

The 3.4's don't have a MAF sensor.

Originally posted by nascar24jd View Post
                  Agreed.

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                  I would also check your vacuum lines for cracks etc.
                  Also Valid.
                  Y87 Package
                  MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
                  Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
                  BONE APPROVED!
                  VANBIBBER APPROVED!
                  KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
                  Team Black...TEAM EMO
                  sigpic
                  Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

Try this....when u go to your car again. unplug your Idle Air Control Sensor and see if the car turns off. If not that then try your Maf Sensor a good unplugging should expose the corporate.......and u have good miles, I have 309,000 keep your car man trust me it's just breaking in

Comment

stated above, someone corrected me, no MAF on that model.
                      Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

stated above, someone corrected me, no MAF on that model.
                        No MAF on a 3.4L. It could be that the IAC is not good, or the port is clogged with carbon.

Remove the IAC, clean it really well. Clean out the port. Put it back together and try it out...

Comment

I'll try cleaning the IAC first. I priced the part yesterday and its about $52.00 after tax. Today the car is not shutting off but we'll see what happens at lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by ajzcamaro View Post
                            I'll try cleaning the IAC first. I priced the part yesterday and its about $52.00 after tax. Today the car is not shutting off but we'll see what happens at lunch.
                            Sounds like it is on it's way out. Easy fix.

Comment

It just seems weird because I thought the IAC would cause erractic reving which I don't have. Either way I'm hoping this is all the problem is.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                                by ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                                1 week ago
                              • RPDRed6
                                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                                by RPDRed6
                                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • ssms5411
                                No start problem
                                by ssms5411
                                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X