burning/sweet smell from heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: burning/sweet smell from heater

I too would steer away from stop leak. Get the problem fixed correctly, otherwise it could fail at the most inopportune time, leaving you stranded somewhere on a cold night.
    2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
      my friends dealership used to put pepper in peoples rads when they came in with leaks.. no joke
      pepper WILL stop leaks, i wouldnt use it as a perminant setup, but it will get you home/to safety.
      1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

ok so the smell is gone, i ran the engine a bit and opend the rad cap idk if that did anything or what. but the smell is gone.

Comment

i mean opend the cap where the coolant goes* how high is the coolant supposed to be up on the dipstick?

Comment

Open the radiator cap when it's cold and check there. It should be right up to the bottom of the cap.

But yeah, there should be some coolant in the tank too. I think the dipstick has measurements on it.
            2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Bell View Post
              Open the radiator cap when it's cold and check there. It should be right up to the bottom of the cap.

But yeah, there should be some coolant in the tank too. I think the dipstick has measurements on it.

oh really the coolant is supposed to be right up to the top of the cap?! when i installed my 160 degree thermo I never filled it that high. its close but not that high. maybe i should add more?

Comment

I would add more. When I check mine, it's always right there. Actually, if your coolant tank is properly filled, it should always be right there because as soon as some of the hot coolant flows into the tank, that's the point where the coolant can no longer get to the overflow line that runs to the tank. And then when the system sucks coolant back into the radiator, that's the most that is going to fit. You could have had air in the system when you did the thermo, too. That would explain a lower coolant level. So I would think that anything less than totally full means something's amiss.
                Last edited by Rob Bell; 01-15-2009, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X