ahh help me my car wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ahh help me my car wont start

security light is on, and for some reason it is staying on even after i got out of the car?

im hoping in not gonna have to get the ign replaced, ugh

anyone know what all of the causes are for this? i tried both of my keys, same thing

Re: ahh help me my car wont start

Wow! pretty strange. I don't know what to say. Have you tried disconnecting the battery and resetting everything?

Comment

mine does it every now and then, i just let her sit for a little bit, then go try it and it usually starts...if all else fails, disconnect the battery like speedy said.
      Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

either your key is dirty/worn, or your ignition is worn. its a VATS issue. ( vehicle anti thieft sysytem)

very commom problem, dont worry too much.you try to start it, light comes on and stays on for a little right? 5 miutes i think.

search and your'll find how to bypass it or you can just change the ignition system, obviously bypassing it is easyer/cheaper.

first try cleaning the chip in the key, pencil erasers work good.

bypassing it is easy, just have to find the resistance of the chip in your key, then just get a resistor(s) with the same value of ohms and just wire it in. takes 10 minutes, you just have to take off the one panel under the steering wheel to acess the wires.

edit: flammingchicken, id do what i posted as soon as you get time, its a PITA when this happens when you need to be somewhere, or your car is blocking someone in ect. just bypass it, its very simple.
        1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

which wire is it?
          Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

search " bypass vats" or "vats bypass" and see if you can find a picture, i remember the thread.

i know i printed out the diagram i found, but i cant find it. ill search in a minute and see if i can find it.

worst comes to worst ill take off the panel and take a picture for you tommarow.
            1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

preesh dude. ill do a search.
              Team NoVa

Comment

this should do it

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...ht=vats+bypass

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...bag_disc_2.jpg

edit: those should get you going, if you have any questions ask, and if needed ill still take a picture of mine.
                Last edited by loser; 01-21-2009, 12:27 AM.

Comment

just one, do i have to remove the resistor from my key...wait, my key works good...never had a problem, is it the key that causes it to go into secure mode?
                  Team NoVa

Comment

no you dont have to remove the chip. the chip wears out over time, so does the insides of the ignition system. its a gm problem, ive had to bypass my dads buick century when he had it for the same issue.

Comment

yeah, i figured it was a vats thing

i almost did the bypass a few months ago when my security light kept comming on and off while i was driving.. this is the first time it wouldnt start for me though.. freaked me out pretty good

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                        yeah, i figured it was a vats thing

i almost did the bypass a few months ago when my security light kept comming on and off while i was driving.. this is the first time it wouldnt start for me though.. freaked me out pretty good
                        yea, like i said, either they chip in your key is worn, and its not reading the right resistance, so the light comes on.

its a real easy fix.

Comment

Originally posted by loser View Post
                          yea, like i said, either they chip in your key is worn, and its not reading the right resistance, so the light comes on.

its a real easy fix.
                          i did get it to start, so i guess it was a freak thing, but i did try using both of my keys (one has literally never been used before.. maybe 3 times)

Comment

i just checked my key, resistance on both of my keys is exactly 1.46

and i just so happened to find this:

6————-1.470 (acceptable range 1.411-1.549)

so it looks like the resistors themselves are fine

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                              i just checked my key, resistance on both of my keys is exactly 1.46

and i just so happened to find this:

6————-1.470 (acceptable range 1.411-1.549)

so it looks like the resistors themselves are fine
                              so the issue isnt the key its self, but another part of the VATS system. id still bypass it and at least know the car is going to start for you, then you can look into more if you want to.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X