engine shaking a bit, and rattling noise - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

engine shaking a bit, and rattling noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine shaking a bit, and rattling noise

drove my car for about 40min last night, when i got home, i shut the car off, then tried to start it again, just making sure everything with my VATS problem is gone

i noticed that when it started, it ran really rough for the first 5 seconds or so, then seemed normal again

it probably also does this when i first start it, i just dont notice it because i usually get in, hit the key, then jump out to scrape my windows, or im shivering so bad i dont even feel it.. what do you guys think that could be? im thinking a sensor somewhere..

also, when my car is running, i get a rattling type noise, it literally sounds like someone is shaking the PCV valve VERY fast, by very fast, im talking like one of those machines that vibrate water for those sonic type cleaners

sound seems to be coming from around the middle of the cowl panel, i can hear it inside of the car, but it is louder outside.. i have no way of getting a sound clip though, since i accidentally broke my camera, but does anyone have a clue as to what it could be?

nothing i do seems to effect the noise (like turning the heat/ac on) but if i blip the throttle a tiny bit, the sound quiets down

im gonna be washing my car in about 15 min, so i will try and check everything out, just wondering if anyone has experienced this before.

and now that i remember, sometimes when im engine braking (usually in 1st or 2nd gear) my car has a little whine.. sounds exactly like a supercharger, i have heard this same noise from other cars (usually with the grand prix with the 3.8, non supercharged) but im wondering what it is exactly.. my car has done it since the day i bought it, so i dont think there is anything wrong

Re: engine shaking a bit, and rattling noise

Well, with that rattling noise, you can take a cardboard tube or a mechanic's stethoscope and probe around to isolate the location of the noise and then go from there.

As far as the whining, mine does it too, but it has always done it with regular driving. I don't know what it is, it must just be something about the 3.8. But it does sound kinda cool, like a little turbo in there haha.
    2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Bell View Post
      Well, with that rattling noise, you can take a cardboard tube or a mechanic's stethoscope and probe around to isolate the location of the noise and then go from there.

As far as the whining, mine does it too, but it has always done it with regular driving. I don't know what it is, it must just be something about the 3.8. But it does sound kinda cool, like a little turbo in there haha.
      yeah, i hear you on the noise, i have been asked if my car was supercharged before when people hear it

anyways, i did use a mechanics stethoscope but i couldnt really hear the noise that well, i replaced the PCV since that is where the noise sounded like it was coming from, im not sure if it made the noise after the car was warmed up, but after i put the new one in, it was gone, so i got that fixed, it was pretty annoying

the old one came out a lot cleaner than i expected, looked almost brand new, even though it was about 1 1/2 years old, so maybe it wasnt working, im not sure, i can tell you all of the ones i have ever replaced came out a brown burnt oil color

Comment

Well good work on fixing the noise. The PCV must have been bad. 1 1/2 years isn't to old, no wonder it looked pretty clean.
        2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X