Metal Gurgle Sound and ticking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Gurgle Sound and ticking

With spring coming I decided to go through my car and fix all the sounds I hear. I will try to describe the sound as best I can.
    Sometimes my car will make a metal gurgling sound. It doesn't happen all the time, and I think it happens more under load. Is this what a misfire sounds like?

I also have a fast ticking sound, but can't figure out where it's coming from. It sounds like it might be coming from the belt or an accessory, is this possible? Where would be most likely? This sound is also constant, and never really gets louder or goes away.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

Re: Metal Gurgle Sound and ticking

Metal sound could be almost anything, heat sheilds, bad pulley , lifter, loose exhaust pipe or something else loose making the rattle. Ticking sound I would guess exhaust manifold or EGR leaking.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

The fast ticking may be the fuel injectors, a normal sound.

Comment

does the ticking sound speed up with the engine?
        Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

i think the metal gurgling sound you are hearing is valvetrain noise, assuming it is coming from the engine, because your engine is trying to stall out, since you said it happens under load, im thinking going uphills with a manual at a low rpm

the ticking can be anything:

lifter
          bent pushrod
          incorrectly adjusted rocker arms
          bad bearings
          bad accessory (alternator, ac compressor, PS pump, etc)
          exhaust leak
          injector
          bad damper

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. With the ticking I'll see if I can tell if it's injectors. I don't think it's an exhaust leak, because it doesn't quite sound like one to me. I'll also see if I can isolate it to a specific pulley.

As for the metal gurgle, when I said under load I should have been more clearer. It doesn't have to be under a lot of load, it just doesn't typically happen revving up to 2.5 in neutral. The car usually has to be in drive and feeling some load, even if it's not a lot. Another thing about this is that it is very intermittent, sometimes the car sounds fine(other than the ticking), and sometimes it happens so much I get worried.

I just threw a code and was able to get it scanned, and it threw a MAF voltage out of range code. Could this be at all related to the metallic sound I hear? I wouldn't think so, but that's why I'm here and learning about my car haha. I also threw O2 sensor codes, but they are only about 6 months old and I was told that they could be a result of the MAF code.

Thanks again everyone for your replies!

EDIT: If I had a bad lifter, where would I press a screwdriver to hear the sound more isolated? I checked every part of the motor I could think of and couldn't isolate anything that way.

Comment

fast ticking sound is the injectors. normal as he said
              Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X