Security Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Issue

so my starter solenoid is going out. basically, i just havent felt like changing it, since the Y-pipe has to come down to get the starter out (and it's cold outside)... so like i said, i'm lazy.

i've been having to crank the car a few times before the solenoid will stay out long enough for the engine to fire. The last time i tried this, i cranked about 10 times. didn't work. In fact, i managed to activate the security system (the factory one through the resistor in the key).

I've pulled the cables off the battery for a few minutes, and tried restarting it... no luck, security light is still blinking and disabling my ignition. I have the cables off now and they will be off for at least the next few hours.

Anyone have any idea on how to trouble shoot this system? Will disconnecting the battery for a while work? If anyone knows what to do, I'd appreciate the assistance...

Thank... Phill
    Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Re: Security Issue

does it stay on all the time? or only when you try and start it? what car you got
    96 camaro auto base model<br />slp cai<br />pacesetter headers<br />flowmaster catback<br />35th anniversary ss wheels<br />richmond 3.73<br />98+ ss spoiler<br />hypertech 160 degree thermostat<br />transgo shift kit

Comment

i didnt have to take off the y-pipe to get the starter out.
      Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

you dont have to take the y pipe off on any car. chances are the key cylinder is bad.
        96 camaro auto base model<br />slp cai<br />pacesetter headers<br />flowmaster catback<br />35th anniversary ss wheels<br />richmond 3.73<br />98+ ss spoiler<br />hypertech 160 degree thermostat<br />transgo shift kit

Comment

i left the battery unhooked for about 24 hours... tried to start it up.. same thing. I even used my extra set of keys, to make sure that the resistor wasn't the issue.

Here's the deal. The security light starts blinking as soon as I turn the key to run. The ignition itself is disabled. Fuel pump primes, but the security system is not letting any juice get to the starter.

This occurred when i cranked the key about 10 times in 10 seconds or so (starter solenoid is going out and its the only way i could get it to crank.... yeah, i know, i'm lazy and haven't felt like changing it yet...)

anyone know how to reset the security system? any sort of trick that I can do with the ignition key? I have a spare computer in my car... might try that if nothing else is working...
          Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

oh... the car is a 95 3.4.. forgot to mentino that earlier...

Comment

not sure if this will work but i heard you can put the key in and turn to run position and let it set for 10 to 15 min and that will reset it. I have no clue if it works but it is worth a try!
              2000 Camaro 3.8 v6 M5
              Flowmaster 80 series muffler, B&M ripper shifter, SLP grille

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
                not sure if this will work but i heard you can put the key in and turn to run position and let it set for 10 to 15 min and that will reset it. I have no clue if it works but it is worth a try!
                sounds like something I can try out... If it doesnt work, its not like anyone is going to steal it.. lol..

just gotta make sure that my accessories are off, so I don't drain the battery...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X