Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pump question

Hey guys, long time no hear...

Anyway, I'm considering buying this 2001 Camaro with 104,000 miles on it, but the seller just informed me that it will need a new oil pump. I'm not too keen on this subject and was looking for some help. Also he's selling it for 3k so will it even be worth it to get it fixed? Or is it too big of a headache to deal with? Thanks guys.

Re: Oil Pump question

If it needs a new oil pump don't be surprised if there are internal engine problems too. If the rest of the car is good and you can potentially afford a new engine for it, then go for it.

Look on kbb.com or another website that gives used-car values, and decide from there if it's worthwhile to you.
    2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Is the oil pressure low?
      If it is low, the oil pump could be crap. But the engine is most likely worn and needs main rod bearings.

If no one is sure what the problem is exactly, you could be in for a saga.

Comment

Could just be the oil pressure sender but, if he knows for sure then I wouldn't mess with it. Probably has more damage like stated.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

yeah, i would try and find out more about the problem

ask him why he thinks the oil pump needs to be replaced

if it has 0 oil pressure, it may just be the sender, which is cheap.

i would tell the seller to replace the sender and if it is getting satisfactory oil pressure you will buy it, if it is getting very low oil pressure, i would pass.

i dont recall the oil pressure numbers, but i think it may be 60psi at 1250rpm.. mine is usually around 40 at idle with a warm engine

Comment

Yes, when start up at least 60 and 40 warm is very good.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X