where are all of the heatshields/plates - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where are all of the heatshields/plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where are all of the heatshields/plates

ok, im so annoyed with my vibrating/rattling noise

every time i shift i hear it, and i can hear it when im engine braking, it is so damn annoying, and has been going on for over a year now.

my guess is its a heat shield somewhere, or an inspection plate or something.. it sounds like it is a thin piece of metal

so what all is there?

i know there is 2 inspection plates for the transmission/starter, also im assuming exhaust manifold heat shields, cat. converter

anything else i could be missing?

Re: where are all of the heatshields/plates

There is one that is on the passenger side where the header comes down to protect the O2 wire and tranny wires for the A4, they get tucked behind it. I took mine off because it was ratteling, then just wraped up the wires with some heat sheildind and wire loom and zip tied it back from the header. You also might check your pipe going underneath the oil pan , mine was double walled and it started to come apart and maake a rattle. had to weld it back together. I also had one of my rear brake line holders that attach to the rear cover housing come off and it was rattting like crazy , even when I got out of the car it would rattle. Just some tips for ya.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

thanks

im almost positive it is coming from the front, and when i replaced my clutch the noise didnt change at all, so im assuming that it is NOT the inspection plate, and that other plate (cant remember what it was)

if it helps at all, it seems to only rattle when i shift at lower rpms and engine brake, if i shift at around 3500+ rpm it wont rattle when i shift.

the rattling noise is when the rpms are falling, but it does it more when i am driving rather than just sitting still and reving it up in neutral.

last time i was under the hood, i checked the drivers side heat shield and it didnt seem to be loose, but i didnt check anything dealing with the passenger side

Comment

yeah mine rattles too when im idle.. annoying

Archer
        MISC: 01 parts. Some interior, T top kit, seats etc.
        http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=95347

Comment

I would realy check the exhaust pipe that goes from the drivers side to the passenger side, I found that one by accident when replacing the 3 bolt flanges. It would stay together but would flex just alittle bit in/out, unless yours is one peice then I wouldn't worry, mine had a weld about right in the center where the 2 pipes went inside each other.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
            I would realy check the exhaust pipe that goes from the drivers side to the passenger side, I found that one by accident when replacing the 3 bolt flanges. It would stay together but would flex just alittle bit in/out, unless yours is one peice then I wouldn't worry, mine had a weld about right in the center where the 2 pipes went inside each other.
            what year is your car?

i have a 98, so would anyone happen to know if mine is like this also?

i do recall seeing a weld on that pipe, but i dont remember where exactly it was

Comment

Mines a 96'. My weld is right where the oil pan is. I think it is double walled so the oil doesn't see high temps while idling.

Comment

Back then I just took mine off and forget about it.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

There is also the possible rattle from the y-pipe. Stock y-pipes have a pipe within a pipe for some reason. I used some self tapping screws and drilled them into the collector and silenced that rattle.

For years i thought it was the heat shields, being the likely culprit i fuked with them forever.

get some stainless self tapping screws and do what i did. If you need pics ill hook you up.

THE RATTLE IS GONE and i am loving it.- F-U macdonalds
                  Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by HeadyFirebird'00 View Post
                    There is also the possible rattle from the y-pipe. Stock y-pipes have a pipe within a pipe for some reason. I used some self tapping screws and drilled them into the collector and silenced that rattle.

For years i thought it was the heat shields, being the likely culprit i fuked with them forever.

get some stainless self tapping screws and do what i did. If you need pics ill hook you up.

Yep , thats the one that I was chasing for awhile, I'm glad I had a welder, mine was leaking all the way around so I had a ticking sound also. Bugged the sh!t out of me, Meatyshells hears it when he did my 105lb spring swap, he was like what the F!ck is that sound. We knew it wasn't the new springs we put in. I welded it the best I could then used Copper RTV sealant around it. I'm not the best welder.LOL It doesn't leak or make any sound so problem solved. I think I took off every heat shield on the car trying to make it stop. I agree drive throughs sucked with the rattle.LOL

Comment

Originally posted by HeadyFirebird'00 View Post

yeah, if its not too hard, can you post the pics?

if we have a day when its not raining, i will put my car up on ramps and try and listen for the sound

Comment

check this out: at the bottom theres a pic. read the thread too

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...ghlight=y-pipe
                        Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

sounds to me like the one thats on the I pipe just after the cat. they rust off and rattle like you described. its on the top of the pipe held. i got pissed at mine at a taco bell while waiting on my food. threw the car in park, popped the trunk, dug out a pair of pliers and tore it off right there. people were pissed behind me but i was more than happy to not hear it anymore.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                          http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                          Or this

Comment

thanks for the advise.. its gonna be a while before i can even check it, its not suppose to get above freezing anytime soon with snow every day :(

its the little things that make me mad, makes my car sound like a piece of crap when im driving

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X