hydrallic press needed for changing ball joints?!?! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hydrallic press needed for changing ball joints?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hydrallic press needed for changing ball joints?!?!

just replaced my busted tie rod end and now its time to move on to the crummy ball joints any ways my haynes repair manual says that I need to remove the control arms and take them to an auto motive machine shop and have them remove the old ball joints and then intall the new ones with a hydrallic press. Confused I went to my local autozone to ask if they had such a machine. When I asked the clerk about it he had no idea what I was talking about. He said I should have no problems doing the whole thing in my drive way. Any body here know what I should do? I don't want to rip out my old ball joints because I'm afraid my car will be undrivable while I sort out this hydrallic press business.

*Whoops just realized I posted this in the wrong catagory, sorry.

[ September 14, 2005, 02:02 AM: Message edited by: aa35199 ]

Haynes is correct. You should have done the ball joints first though, because now you'll have to remove the tie rods again. Some people drill/hammer them out, but to be honest I'd rather spend 20$ at the machine shop to have all 4 changed.

Why are you doing this? Are you rebuilding the entire suspension?
    <b>99 Pewter Metallic Camaro</b><br />SLP Ultra-Z Hood, Shaved Antenna, !mouldings, Chrome Halos, Filled Factory Grill, Y2K 18 R 19 F, SLP Whisper Lid, (functional w/ Hood), FlowMaster American Thunder C.B, QA1 Coilovers, Kuhmo Tires.

Comment

you could use a ball joint press. You should be able to rent one from autozone. It's a massive c-clamp with cups that need to be used to press the ball joints in and out.
      1995 Camaro 3.4L Black with T tops, 5 speed manual<br /><br />Mods:<br />Pro 5.0 short throw shifter, MSD Ignition coils, 3.73 gears, Torsen LSD,Mac diff cover, Umi LCAs<br />K&N Cold Air Intake, Window Tint (20% rear, 35%front), aluminum driveshaft, fastchip tuning

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X