problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems

Ive been having a hard time with the car lately. Tensioner shattered on me the other day so i fixed that and drove for 2 days before the next problem. While waiting for someone i was idling and all of the sudden the car died. couldnt get it to start for several tries and then finally it fired up like it was out of gas but i had a half tank. If i didnt keep the rpms 200-300 over idle it would die so i parked it.
    go to see what was wrong and it starts up fine and drive home no problems. drive to work today no problems. drive home and half way there it dies at a red light again. get it home and its over heating but no where near red line. just over half on the gauge. then i notice its not shifting into the next gear so i get off the highway and coast home.

pulled these codes

36 - ign system problem loos of 24x sensor signal
    82 - ign system problem 3x signal circuit problem
    96 - transmission system voltage problem

i also notice i cracked my air dam and its not at the right angle so that might have added to the over heating.

any ideas?
    1994 3.4L DSG Camaro
    Comp Cam 260h w/ 1.6 rockers, J&M STB, UMI 3pt SFC's, Spohn RCA's + Adj. PHR, KYB AGX Shocks, PS Headers, Cutout, Posi Rear w/3.42's, Aluminum DS, Wings West Body Kit, SS Hood/Spoiler, 17" TT2's 9.5/11" 275/315's, 5% tint
    sigpic

Re: problems

hmmm thats a lot of problems.

however start with those codes, particularily the 24x and 3x sensors.

these are the two crankshaft sensors used for SFI on our cars. one is relatively easy to access, being that it is on the right side of the block and can be accessed from the bottom of the car, having one bolt securing it into the block. the other sensor is more difficult. it is located behind the crank pulley/ harmonic balancer and you will need to remove those to access teh sensor. both sensors are about 30 - 40$ from advanced auto. maybe you can replace the easier one first and see if that clears up your codes/problems since if one of the 2 crank sensors is bad it will likely throw codes for both as yours apparently did. problems with these sensors is also consistent with the engine shutting off and not being able to start because to be quite frank the ignition system isn't getting a signal for when to fire.

Comment

thanks, ill start with the sensors - Im actually getting a strange sound on the right side of the block, not sure what it is but maybe the sensors are making the car run like complete ***.

i just replaced the balancer i wonder if that is causeing some problems.
      1994 3.4L DSG Camaro
      Comp Cam 260h w/ 1.6 rockers, J&M STB, UMI 3pt SFC's, Spohn RCA's + Adj. PHR, KYB AGX Shocks, PS Headers, Cutout, Posi Rear w/3.42's, Aluminum DS, Wings West Body Kit, SS Hood/Spoiler, 17" TT2's 9.5/11" 275/315's, 5% tint
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by usp55 View Post
        thanks, ill start with the sensors - Im actually getting a strange sound on the right side of the block, not sure what it is but maybe the sensors are making the car run like complete ***.

i just replaced the balancer i wonder if that is causeing some problems.
        its "possible" that you damaged the sensor behind the balancer if it wasn't installed properly.

Comment

Faulty crank sensors would cause the computer to retard timing, making it run like S**t. The code 96 is something to worry about, driving with retard timing is not good .Best to check these crank sensors at the harnesses before replacement. Especially on a 14 year old car , they can be difficult to replace.

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident View Post
            its "possible" that you damaged the sensor behind the balancer if it wasn't installed properly.
            i dont even see how, the balancer was 2 screws
            1994 3.4L DSG Camaro
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by usp55 View Post
              i dont even see how, the balancer was 2 screws

well either way i've heard of peoples sensors working themselves loose and then basically the HB just kind of chops them right off.

Comment

do i need to do a "case relearn" after fixing the balancer as the sticky says to do? my old balancer was so loose and the new one is tight as crap, making me think the problem has to do with the balancer seeing how my problems started right after i replaced it.

is it possible to do a case relearn on a 94 obd 1.5 car?
                1994 3.4L DSG Camaro
                sigpic

Comment

ok so i just had the car running on stands for about 15 min, got up to temp fans came on fine. car started to sound better the longer i let it run. I also notice that the day my car really craped out on my when i look under the hood i could clearly see the crank pulley spinning not perfectly true. moving in and out ever so slightly but definatly noticeable. now its spinning completely true. did my car just learn its new timing from the new balancer?
                  1994 3.4L DSG Camaro
                  sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X