oh no!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oh no!!

okay so i was going to add some 50/50 antifreeze to the camaro today sice it wa s little low the otherday and when i open the cap there was a little white foam around it.. never seen that before.. =\ also in the green antifreeze there was a few brown spots that appeaed to be oil and have the consistancy of oil in water.. wtf :( nooo
    2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
    1991 3000GT VR4
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Re: oh no!!

ouch.. lower intake mani, or the dreadful head gasket...

sorry to hear about your car, hope she feels better soon...

(easy fix)
    Archer
    MISC: 01 parts. Some interior, T top kit, seats etc.
    http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=95347

Comment

the car still runs great stays below operating temps and no smoake.. why me!!! brb i am gonna go check the oil and see how it looks
      2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
      1991 3000GT VR4

Comment

oil looks great i hope its just the mani gasket but now is a good time for a thinner headgasket for the powerdyne lol damn it
        2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
        1991 3000GT VR4

Comment

Sorry to hear that , I hope for you it is a manifold gasket. Good luck.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

whats the best way to tell if its the headgasket? i don;t wanna rip it down to the intake and then put it back just for it to be the headgasket..
            2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
            1991 3000GT VR4

Comment

a compression test will usually tell you when a headgasket is bad

usually all of the cylinders will be within spec, and you will have one thats drastically low

if you do have a low one, put some oil in the cylinder, and do another compression check, if the compression INCREASES you know the rings for that cylinder are good, and you either have a headgasket problem, or bad valves (which i would say it is a headgasket in your case)
              Last edited by cam98aro; 02-27-2009, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post

usually all of the cylinders will be within spec, and you will have one thats drastically low

if you do have a low one, put some oil in the cylinder, and do another compression check, if the compression INCREASES you know the rings for that cylinder are bad, and you either have a headgasket problem, or bad valves (which i would say it is a headgasket in your case)
                was gonna say the same thing!

its an easy task, just a pita on the maro... you can also check the pressure on your rad. if it drops or doesnt hold... leak somewhere. then you can use the dye and track it with the UV light.:stp:

Archer
                MISC: 01 parts. Some interior, T top kit, seats etc.
                http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=95347

Comment

Originally posted by Archer View Post
                  was gonna say the same thing!

its an easy task, just a pita on the maro... you can also check the pressure on your rad. if it drops or doesnt hold... leak somewhere. then you can use the dye and track it with the UV light.:stp:

Archer
                  oops, i made a huge mistake, if the compression increases, it means the rings are good.. oops

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post

rule of thumb is the lowest cyl should not be below 10% of the highest. if you have 190 psi of compression on the highest, then your lowest should not be below 171 psi.
                    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                      rule of thumb is the lowest cyl should not be below 10% of the highest. if you have 190 psi of compression on the highest, then your lowest should not be below 171 psi.
                      true, but thats usually diagnosing bad rings

most of the time if you have one cylinder thats really low its a headgasket/valve problem

not trying to say you're wrong, just providing some info :D

Comment

Originally posted by vr4gasm View Post
                        oil looks great i hope its just the mani gasket but now is a good time for a thinner headgasket for the powerdyne lol damn it
                        Are you going to go with a .052 MLS, I have .060 MLS gaskets incase I blow a head gasket, I like to keep spare parts on hand in case something blows up. Good luck with your car I hope it is just a manifold. I don't think I ever blew a head gasket when I ran my powerdyne for the 4 years I had it. I did blow valve covers gaskets a couple of times and lower intake manifold twice. GM has a new lower intake gaskets set that is alm. so it is made alot better than their previous designs. I got most of my parts from ZZP.
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Is there a step by step detailed procedure of the manifold gasket swap with pics in this forum yet? Seems this is a common occurence in our V6.

I'd like to know just in case for future reference. This should be a perfect opportunity to show & tell.
                          Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                            Are you going to go with a .052 MLS, I have .060 MLS gaskets incase I blow a head gasket, I like to keep spare parts on hand in case something blows up. Good luck with your car I hope it is just a manifold. I don't think I ever blew a head gasket when I ran my powerdyne for the 4 years I had it. I did blow valve covers gaskets a couple of times and lower intake manifold twice. GM has a new lower intake gaskets set that is alm. so it is made alot better than their previous designs. I got most of my parts from ZZP.

my powerdyne isn't on yet... i think it was just time for that gasket its not my headgasket just lower intake gasket.. do you have a part number to the alum. gasket set? i am gonna call gm monday and get some prices.. and yah i would like to go with the .052
                            2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
                            1991 3000GT VR4

Comment

I just ordered mine through ZZP, which they will have just about everything you'll need.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X