DIS-4 installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIS-4 installed

got it today, took about 3 hours to install and get all running. First noticable thing was the smooth idle. Idle was MUCH smoother.

next, car ran normal, but about 4K rpm you start to feel the difference. not too much, but maybe a 6-9hp increase (flywheel, not at the wheels). i dont have too many mods so i didnt expect TOO much, but the difference IS there.

thing i think is holding me back some is the plugs i got. They are bosch, and they blow. Im gonna pick up some NGK's tommorrow or the next day and put them in. Should be much better.

So anyway, for those who dont think its worth it for the 3800, think again. I felt the difference, and i would bet money you feel more of a difference with more mods.

i looked at the link you gave but im still dont know what it is or does. want to give me an idea?
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

basically, for every one spark that our stock ignition provides to the plug during the regular firing order, the MSD replaces that one spark with like 8 or something like that. its multiple, and its a significant increase i know that.

the DIS-4 also has a bunch of features like launch control, timing retards, rev limiters, speed limiters, security features, etc.

oh, and the more i drive it, the more i notice the difference. from about 4000-redline it pulls harder, and its noticible. overall the car pulls smoother, and maybe slightly harder in the earlier RPM's, but its when the upper RPM's hit where it shines.

hate to say it, but it sorta feels like a vtec, whereas before the MSD the powerband started to flatten out some.

Bottom line: this IS a worthwile mod for the 3800 engine. you can feel the difference.

Comment

sounds cool. thanks for the info
        2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

can i see a link?
          1997 Camaro<br />17x9 Chrome SS wheels, SLP CAI, Magnaflow Catback,<br />High Flow Cat, Blacked out Lights, 20% tint, AUDIO: 1600W Kenwood eXcelon Amp, 12\" Kicker L7, 1 Farad Cap (Recently STOLEN),<br />H&R Springs and KYB AGX\'s,<br />Billet Grille

Comment

I can't wait until I get mine for the 3.4L! If it works for the 3.8 a little it must help the 3.4 a lot!!
            Ben<br /><br />1995 White/Black 3.4L<br />As far away from stock as possible<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=288292\" target=\"_blank\">My Site!!!</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.redlinevsix.com\" target=\"_blank\">RedLineV6</a><br />Rebuild and 3.4 T70 Turbo is complete<br />Details to come....

Comment

This is right from MSD's website:

Digital DIS Ignition Controls
              PN 6211|6215
              Late model engines with distributorless ignition systems (DIS) can take advantage of MSD performance with the new Digital DIS-2 and DIS-4 Ignition Controls. These capacitive discharge Ignitions feature multi-channel capability complemented with multiple sparks, rev limiters and a timing control.
              The new DIS Ignitions are engineered with the latest in digital science including power MOSFET technology and efficient IGBT coil drivers. The features of the ignitions are managed by a 15 MHz microcontroller for extremely fast compensations and decisions. In the end this creates incredibly accurate spark delivery, rev limit and timing functions.
              The multi-channel design of the MSD DIS Ignitions saturate each coil pack with 470 volts and up to 115 millijoules of spark energy. This creates more efficient combustion in the cylinders to produce more power. Throttle response and mid range pull are also improved due to a series of powerful multiple sparks that last for 20° of crankshaft rotation.
              To complete the package MSD engineers built several great programmable features into the DIS ignitions to give you better performance on the track. There is a Two Step Rev Control which gives you one limit to set for holeshots and another for top end performance. For engines using nitrous or extremely high cylinder pressures you can also program a High Speed Retard after the engine hits total timing. Both of these features are easy to adjust with built-in dip switches.
              With proven MSD Ignition technology and years of performance ignition experience, an MSD DIS will make a great addition to your car!

MSD Digital DIS-2 - PN 6211
              (Designed for 4-cylinder engines with two coil packs.)

MSD Digital DIS-4 - PN 6215
              (Designed for use on 6 or 8-cylinder engines with three or four coil packs.)

OPERATING SPECIFICATIONS FOR MSD DIS IGNITIONS
              Operating Voltage: 12-18 Volts Negative Ground
              Current Draw: DIS-2 3.5A@10,000 rpm
              DIS-4 6.6A@10,000 rpm
              RPM Range: 14,500 rpm with 14.4 volt supply
              Spark Duration: 20° crankshaft rotation
              Spark Energy: 105 - 115 milliJoules per spark
              Weight and Size: DIS-2: 4 lbs, 8.5"Lx4.5"Wx2.2"H
              DIS-4: 4.5 lbs, 9.5"Lx4.5"Wx2.2"H
              Voltage Output Max: Primary: 460-480 volts delivered to coil
              Secondary: 40,000+ volts (MSD HVC Coil)

http://www.msdignition.com/images/6211-7.gif

Comment

I want a Dis-4 i can get the module from my work for around 300.
                New:04 GMC Sierra 1500 RCLB 4x4 5.3 GU80 3.73\'s.<br />Truck pics<br />Mods<br />Go fast: Panel K&N filter and soon SS truck catback.<br />Appearance: Stull Billet grill,Weston Chrome step tubes,Rhino Chrome hitch step,ARE painted fiberglass cover,Silver star lighting.

Comment

Originally posted by 94TeaL:
                  I want a Dis-4 i can get the module from my work for around 300.
                  300 isnt bad. i was able to get all of my stuff for 255 shipped. thats the module, 3 accel coils, and 3 CIU's. im happy with that.

Comment

yeha my car was running REALLY ruch and fooling plugs every 100 miles when i got it running, put the DIS on and on same set of plugs for like 250 miles now and i stoped getting miss fires (BTW my car is HIGHLY moded for bosst but running N/A till the Turbo get here
                    www.turbov6camaro.com
                    1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                    4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                    7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                    11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

i need plugs SOOOOOOOOOO bad. my bosch blow azz. i gotta pick up some NGK TR6's

Comment

I have a question i want to know. I going to do the 8 swap in the future if i get dis-4 for my 3.4 would it work with a lt1
                        Also Ian where did you get all that for that cheap?

[ July 22, 2004, 01:51 AM: Message edited by: 95DropTop ]
                        95 camaro 3.4 &lt; Jc whitney Exhaust, Chrome intake stage 2, Rk sport headers, msd dis-4, 160*thermo, Jet stage 2 chip, black racing stripes.<br /><br />91 Camaro rs 5.0 tbi gone but not forgoten

Comment

Originally posted by 95DropTop:
                          I have a question i want to know. I going to do the 8 swap in the future if i get dis-4 for my 3.4 would it work with a lt1
                          i believe the LT1 uses something called an optispark system, and from what i remember, thats a coil for every cyl. If i am correct, and it IS a coil for every cyl., you CAN use the DIS-4 for that. And if not, and you get one now, they are very easy to sell as 3000GT's, 4.6 mustangs, and many MANY other common 6 and 8 cyl. cars can use it.

I bought all my stuff from a member of this board. That member was brandonppr. He was a great seller, very easy to work with, and shipped the stuff to me promptly, exactly as he stated, and packed extremely well.

$250 was a steal for all the stuff. Would i pay full price for everything new? Probably not, its not THAT much of an increase, but anywhere from $250-350, i would pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian:
                            </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 95DropTop:
                            i believe the LT1 uses something called an optispark system, and from what i remember, thats a coil for every cyl. If i am correct, and it IS a coil for every cyl., you CAN use the DIS-4 for that. And if not, and you get one now, they are very easy to sell as 3000GT's, 4.6 mustangs, and many MANY other common 6 and 8 cyl. cars can use it. </font>[/QUOTE]You CAN NOT use the DIS-4 with coil per cylinder engines!!!
                            Says right on the thing "For 3 or 4 coil 6 and 8 cylinder engines."

I believe MSD makes another ignition box for coil/cylinder V8s, I forgot the name though.
                            Some of the research was done on this guy's car back home, my dad installed the stuff [img]smile.gif[/img]
                            <b><a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six©</b></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/id/95batmobile\" target=\"_blank\">My \'95 Bird</a><br />I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Comment

Originally posted by 95Batmobile:
                              </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ian:
                              </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 95DropTop:
                              i believe the LT1 uses something called an optispark system, and from what i remember, thats a coil for every cyl. If i am correct, and it IS a coil for every cyl., you CAN use the DIS-4 for that. And if not, and you get one now, they are very easy to sell as 3000GT's, 4.6 mustangs, and many MANY other common 6 and 8 cyl. cars can use it. </font>[/QUOTE]You CAN NOT use the DIS-4 with coil per cylinder engines!!!
                              Says right on the thing "For 3 or 4 coil 6 and 8 cylinder engines."

I believe MSD makes another ignition box for coil/cylinder V8s, I forgot the name though.
                              Some of the research was done on this guy's car back home, my dad installed the stuff [img]smile.gif[/img]
                              </font>[/QUOTE]hmm, thought it showed schematics in teh directions for hooking it up to coil/cyl. setups, but i guess not.

well, my next car is a GN, and i knwo i can use it on that, so [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X