Car is giving me a headache :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car is giving me a headache :(

So I've worked out some of the problems I was having with my car, but not all of them. I still have the metal sound that I described in another post, and I can't for the life of me figure out what it is. It sounds a little like when my cat went out, like a very fast metal rattle. It sounds like it's coming sort of from the center of the car just a little in front of me, but it's hard to tell. It does it much more when cold, but not always when it's cold and sometimes when it's not cold. I just replaced my MAF sensor with a new one because it was throwing a code, and now the code's gone. That seemed to make it happen a little less, but not go away. The car still feels like all the power is there, but I've had the issue for a while so I can't really be sure.

Some other things I've noticed that may or may not be related:

-Sometimes when I let off the throttle, it will drop only to about 1200 RPM for a second, then kinda go "vroomph" and coast like normal.(Surging?)

-I've had the problem for a while, it's just starting to get worse and louder recently.

-Sometimes after I turn the car off the motor will stop, and then a moment later I'll hear a kind of clunk. I thought this was normal, but I'm no expert. I also got this sound to happen once after rolling it about 5 feet in neutral then putting it back in park with the engine off the whole time.

The car is a 2000 A4 Firebird.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Car is giving me a headache :(

heat shield?
    2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
    1991 3000GT VR4
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I think I've checked all the ones I know about, I'll go over it again either tomorrow or Sunday. Theres one on the cat, one on the starter, and one on each exhaust manifold right? am I missing any?

UPDATE: I checked the heat shields I know of and they all seem solid. I found a dry rotted piece of rubber tube about an inch long around what I think was a connector from a metal section to a rubber hose on what I think is a coolant line. I'm not sure if that's where it's supposed to be or what it does. I also checked coolant and I'm low and there's this sandy build up on the dipstick. I don't think it's related, but just wanna make sure I give as much info as possible.
      Last edited by TheWizardofOz; 03-07-2009, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Make sure to check that heatshield thats on the firewall, I believe passenger side. Also check around where your Y-pipe bolts up, to the manifolds and cat back...
        sigpic
        98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

I had a problem like that. It was the bracket that connects to the exhaust and a mount near the trans mount. Check to see if that is cracked or broken. Wish I could give better advice but its been a few years

Comment

Thanks everyone, I didn't know about the heat shield on the firewall, I'll check that out tomorrow. I'll also check around the trans mount to make sure everything's ok there.

Comment

The bracket on my car was near the cat. I broke it all the time and had to keep welding it. Shift to hard I guess. might have to get sub frame connectors hahaha

Comment

I checked the bracket that goes to the cat and it's still welded there. I couldn't find a heat shield on the firewall, unless you're talking about the one at the very bottom passenger side that wraps under the car and over the cat. I couldn't find any problem around the Y pipe but I'll check again, I didn't have a lot of time.

Comment

tap your ypipe and see if you hear the rattle, that ypipe is not single layered ;) At least my 97 I know was double wall. Maybe the interior piece is rattling
                  http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life View Post
                    tap your ypipe and see if you hear the rattle, that ypipe is not single layered ;) At least my 97 I know was double wall. Maybe the interior piece is rattling
                    Thats what mine was doing the pipe under the oil pan was doubled walled and was leaking and rattling.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

About how hard should I have to tap the y pipe to get it to rattle? From inside the car, it sounds like that's about the location the sound is coming from, but when I got under the car and tapped it with a hammer it didn't sound any different than any other pipe. is there a specific section that's double walled? I should be able to get one of my buddies to help me either Wednesday or Thursday, maybe with an extra pair of hands I'll be able to tell for sure.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X