oil pan removal for 3.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: oil pan removal for 3.8

I'm probably changing my oil pan soon...Its been bottomed out a few too many times. But, I've got the tubular k-member, so its supposed to be alot simpler...did somebody have a decent write up about changing? Its always nice to have another reference than the repair manual (which can be alittle too general sometimes)

Comment

I, of course havent seen the under side of your car, would imagine you're pretty clear of anything in your way. You probably just need to put your car on stands, drain the oil, get under it with a ratchet and break all the bolts loose. Then use the air ratchet, 3" extension and I think a 13 mm socket and undo all the bolts completely, drop the pan, CLEAN the gasket. Then get some siliconiac (rtv, silcone w/e) put in on the block and the oil pan. stick the gasket on the block and shove the pan back up there. tighten up. hahaha Fill with oil and put the car on the ground

Comment

Some ppl dont use the silicone on the block and pan. I reccomend it. It fills in all the scrathes and crevest(sp?) that the gasket will not.

Comment

damn... i was just looking on the instrucs on how to do this.. there is alot involved. its saying about the mounts, raise motor, drop k member, then you have access to the pan.. thats BS man. thats suppose to be one of the easy things to fix/ replace on ANY car.. bastards.. lol good luck man.. it doesnt look easy and even labor is going to take you appx 4-5 hours at the dealer pending what your transmission is..
          MISC: 01 parts. Some interior, T top kit, seats etc.
          http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=95347

Comment

Originally posted by chevy3504me View Post
            I, of course havent seen the under side of your car, would imagine you're pretty clear of anything in your way. You probably just need to put your car on stands, drain the oil, get under it with a ratchet and break all the bolts loose. Then use the air ratchet, 3" extension and I think a 13 mm socket and undo all the bolts completely, drop the pan, CLEAN the gasket. Then get some siliconiac (rtv, silcone w/e) put in on the block and the oil pan. stick the gasket on the block and shove the pan back up there. tighten up. hahaha Fill with oil and put the car on the ground

cant just DROP the pan.. there are alot of things in the way...

Comment

Originally posted by boonders View Post
              I'm probably changing my oil pan soon...Its been bottomed out a few too many times. But, I've got the tubular k-member, so its supposed to be alot simpler...did somebody have a decent write up about changing? Its always nice to have another reference than the repair manual (which can be alittle too general sometimes)
              here is one without the photos. there are spaces in there. I just removed the photos that were attached.. to make it easier to post for you hope this helps

Service and Repair Removal Procedure

1. Install the engine support fixture to the engine. Refer to Engine Support Fixture.
              2. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
              3. Drain the engine oil.
              4. Remove the right side engine mount (2) to cradle bolts (1).

1. Remove the left side engine mount (2) to cradle bolts (1).

1. Remove the right and left side shock absorber lower mounting bolts.

1. Remove the intermediate steering shaft bolt from the rack and pinion.
              2. Support the engine cradle with appropriate equipment.

1. Disconnect the oil level sensor electrical connector (1). Notice Remove the oil level sensor, located in the oil pan, before the oil pan is removed. The sensor may be damaged if the oil pan is removed first.

1. Remove the oil level sensor from the oil pan.
              2. Remove the starter motor.

1G12. Remove the front crossmember bolts.

1. Remove the oil pan bolts (1).
              2. Remove the oil pan (2). Lower the rear of the oil pan while rotating the pan outward.

1. Remove the oil pan gasket
              2. Clean the oil pan gasket mating surface.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the oil pan gasket

1. Install the oil pan (2). Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
              2. Install the oil pan bolts (1).

• Tighten the oil pan bolts to 14 Nm (10 ft. lbs.).

1. Install the front crossmember bolts.

• Tighten the upper four crossmember bolts to 125 Nm (92 ft. lbs.).
                • Tighten the lower two crossmember bolts to 145 Nm (107 ft. lbs.).

1. Install the starter motor.

1. Install the oil level sensor to the oil pan.

• Tighten the oil level sensor to 20 Nm (15 ft. lbs.).

1. Connect the oil level sensor electrical connector (1).
              2. Remove the equipment used to support the engine cradle.

1. Install the intermediate steering shaft from the rack and pinion.

• Tighten the intermediate shaft bolt to 47 Nm (35 ft. lbs.).

1. Install the right and left side shock absorber lower mounting bolts.

• Tighten the shock bolts to 65 Nm (48 ft. lbs.).

1. Install the left side engine mount (2) to cradle bolts (1).

• Tighten the left side engine mount to cradle bolts (1) to 58 Nm (43 ft. lbs.).

1. Install the right side engine mount (2) to cradle bolts (1).

• Tighten the right side engine mount to cradle bolts (1) to 58 Nm (43 ft. lbs.).

1. Lower the vehicle.
              2. Remove the engine support fixture.
              3. Change the engine oil and filter.

Comment

This is why I went with a tub.K member a A arms , don't loose anything because it falls right through and you have access to all the oil pan bolts , so it comes right out.Tub. K FTW.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

That lil write up was for ssms5411. as far as i know there is only one tube on the v6 that is less than 2" in diameter and is out of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by chevy3504me View Post
                    That lil write up was for ssms5411. as far as i know there is only one tube on the v6 that is less than 2" in diameter and is out of the way.
                    ^ Thanks.lol
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

there are tube k's for the v6?

Comment

yes there is. they are a little costly but very nice. always side i was gonna get one....just never got around to it.
                        WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by Archer View Post
                          there are tube k's for the v6?

Here's the one I want. :P

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1993-1997-...-V6-34-38.html
                          Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com

"Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

I can build them, powder coat and customize to your desire. Still costly lol. lower control arms are easy so I can make them a lil cheaper.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X