Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fuel pump question

Ok I got the new spark plugs and put em in

She fired up right away for about 2 minutes and then shut off on her own.

I waited about another 2 minutes and she fired up again just fine, then turned off in like 30 seconds.

Im getting so frustrated holy crap its almost there. ah!

BTW when she turned on she ran steady, purrrfect idle no hesitation, but just like when you shut off your engine she just turned off.

I think imma buy some new spark plug wires tomorrow. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Do you ever get the security light? Make sure the security light lights up during the bulb test when you first start it. If it's not that, I would pull the ignition module and have it tested. I know Advance Auto does tests. They just put it on some machine that will run the tests. The way you describe it just turning off sounds like it's spark related. Because if it was fuel, it would probably sputter and then die rather than just "turn off". So assuming it is spark related, either the PCM is telling it to shut off or something that controls the ignition is defective. So it could also be the crank position sensor. Ignition modules get heat sensitive sometimes, I've had them start acting funny when warmed up.

When it refuses to start, have you determined if spark or fuel is missing? That's really the first thing to do. Then work back through the system toward the PCM
      2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

She started up again this morning twice at that. Ran for a few seconds then just shut off. Yah I do get a security light which turns off after a few seconds.

I took the 3 coils and and the ignition module to get tested and they are all acting fine.

The autozone guy told me it could be crank position sensor, can that be tested?

One last thing when it did start up I got this obvious gasoline odor, no leaks anywhere, just from the exhaust tips is that just the built up gas from the numerous tries i've been attempting to start?

Comment

Just to update:

The car starts up fine now no problem

However now the idle is a bit irregular. The warmer it gets to operating temperature the more vibration and the less smooth the idle becomes.

I tried checking the injectors with a screwdriver but I cant tell if that specific injector is making the sound, I feel the entire fuel rail making clicking noises.

Im going to replace the spark plug wires for the hell of it anyway, so do you guys know a better way to check the injectors cuz I think one of them may be gunked up or dead in general
          Last edited by Cammy98; 03-27-2009, 09:46 PM.

Comment

I'd get a length of hose and use that as a stethoscope. Then you can get to the back injectors. You probably hear the whole rail clicking because there are six injectors constantly clicking. I can see where it would be hard to tell. If you can keep it running maybe Seafoam or injector cleaner would help. The security light turning off after a few seconds is normal. If it was a security issue the light would stay on.

The crank sensor would be tested by attaching either an ohmmeter or voltmeter (don't remember which) to the crank sensor terminals and then cranking the engine, checking for the readings to fluctuate. I don't have my Haynes manual handy, but it has a test procedure.
            Last edited by Rob Bell; 03-27-2009, 10:43 PM.
            2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

this is a good thread...
              Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Ok just to update again, so far things are getting better. Thanx again for the help.

So on start up everything is fine the idle is smooth after I replaced the spark plug wires and power is back to normal. I took her out for a spin last night with no problems.

However the SES light is on now and at random times she'll just shut off and "check gauges" light comes on. I wait and turn her back on and everything is fine again. Im going to get the light read cuz I dont think the problem is fixed.

But you guys have any clue on what the random stalling can be? And would the computer throw a code for the specific bad injector?

Comment

mine did the random stalling and throwing a code and it was the crankshaft position sensor. get your code read and post it
                  2000 Camaro 3.8 v6 M5
                  Flowmaster 80 series muffler, B&M ripper shifter, SLP grille

Comment

Agreed, now that you have a code, that will go a long way toward diagnosing the problem. I don't know if the codes specify the injector, but if it's a misfire on a certain cylinder, then you can concentrate on that one. The codes just help you narrow down the problem. Glad it's getting closer. You'll get it figured out. On my beater, the crank sensor fell apart because the plastic got brittle, and it just wouldn't start one day.

Comment

Alright thanx a lot guys. I'll post up again when I get the code read.

One last question is it safe to drive if the crankshaft position sensor is faulty?

So fuel injectors are pretty much ok then right, I measured this morning with a volt meter and they all gave back like 8.2V (DC)
                      Last edited by Cammy98; 03-28-2009, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cammy98 View Post
                        Alright thanx a lot guys. I'll post up again when I get the code read.

One last question is it safe to drive if the crankshaft position sensor is faulty?

So fuel injectors are pretty much ok then right, I measured this morning with a volt meter and they all gave back like 8.2V (DC)
                        is it safe to drive?

i would say yes/no

yes, you arent going to do any damage, but you dont want your car to stall out in the middle of a turn with a car coming at you doing 40mph

i would say dont drive it until you can fix the stalling issues.. and the check gages light is normal to come on when the car stalls

Comment

Haha yah the stalling part sucks. Ugh. Why cant life hold on for a little bit.

Ok so im going to replace the crankshaft position sensor, im kinda feeling thats it cuz of the smooth idle but random moments of turning off.

I got one more question in taking off the drive belt, is this the component I should loosen up to take off the drive belt? Im kinda freaked I feel like that thing is gunna hit me in the face. Well check out the pic im questioning if its the part the wrench is on.

Comment

no that's not it, its the one where those two heater hoses are going in
                            2000 Camaro 3.8 v6 M5

Comment

Does anybody have any suggestions for what tool to use to remove that god forsaken crankshaft hub. What kind of puller did ya'll use?

Comment

go to autozone and get one from their loan a tool program. they look like this
                                2000 Camaro 3.8 v6 M5

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X