a/c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a/c

Sometimes when I start my car i can hear my a/c making noise, it sounds like rocks rolling around in a can. From what I've read hear it's probably the a/c clutch bearings, but it's not all the time just once in a while. Is there oil that needs to go in it, can I put it in or do I really have to replace the compressor?

Re: a/c

yes, there is oil inside the compressor

i *think* i used PAG 150 or PAG 46, i cant remember what our cars take, i know when i asked for it, they told me they sell cans of r134 and i had to explain to the guy at the parts store that i need the OIL in the compressor and not the refrigerant

it should say what to use on the compressor itself

Comment

Isn't it usually sold in 2 oz quantities mixed with 2 oz of R134? Last time I added a 2 oz can of oil with a can of freon and IIRC it went in just like the coolant does.

Comment

Originally posted by landj View Post
        Isn't it usually sold in 2 oz quantities mixed with 2 oz of R134? Last time I added a 2 oz can of oil with a can of freon and IIRC it went in just like the coolant does.
        i wouldnt use that crap

the only "real" way to do it is take the compressor off and fill it up through the little drain plug

Comment

i found my AC stuff today because my freon leaked out, and i found my compressor oil, if anyone wants to know, the compressor takes PAG 46 oil

all you need to do is dump the old stuff out into a measuring cup and see how much was in the compressor, and refill it with that exact amount with a funnel

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
            i wouldnt use that crap

the only "real" way to do it is take the compressor off and fill it up through the little drain plug
            Hmm.. I put 2 oz of oil and a can of freon in my compressor about 5 years ago and it's still going strong. Sounds like it your method didn't work out so well for you.

Comment

Originally posted by landj View Post
              Hmm.. I put 2 oz of oil and a can of freon in my compressor about 5 years ago and it's still going strong. Sounds like it your method didn't work out so well for you.
              you shouldnt use that stuff

if the compressor needs oil, the only right way to do it is take it off and change it, if it doesnt need oil, then putting the stuff from the can in will cause you to overfill it and affect the cooling operation of the compressor.

there is really no way to tell if the compressor needs oil unless you take it off

and the compressor takes way more than 2 oz.. i think mine took around 7 or 8oz

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                by ssms5411
                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                1 week ago
              • RPDRed6
                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                by RPDRed6
                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                3 weeks ago
              • ssms5411
                No start problem
                by ssms5411
                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X