alot about seafoam,,but this one i want to know - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

alot about seafoam,,but this one i want to know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alot about seafoam,,but this one i want to know

guys,,yes yes yes,,,,everybody is tired about seafoam threads,,,but searched for my question and did not find one,,,so here it goes:::there is alot of info telling how long to leave seafoam in crankcase,,,but what is the minimum time i can leave it in for a modest wash??

Re: alot about seafoam,,but this one i want to know

most say dont run for more than 250-300 miles....i did my lincoln and ran it 80 miles because i lost 3rd gear 10 mins after doing the seafoam, but it was black!!! i mean ink black...

Comment

Minimum... I would say 75-100 miles. I ran it for about 150 miles and the oil came out clean. Not much buildup, I guess. My car had 80k miles on it at the time.
      '99 Camaro
      '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
      '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

so,,those engine cleaner that says 5 min are total crap????

Comment

lol yes!!! nothing can take thousands of miles worth of carbon build up in 5 mins!!! chances are that its a 5 min flush because its so damn harsh and will eat gaskets and seals.....

Comment

Originally posted by jrherald420 View Post
            lol yes!!! nothing can take thousands of miles worth of carbon build up in 5 mins!!! chances are that its a 5 min flush because its so damn harsh and will eat gaskets and seals.....
            thnx,,,,,,,,and this thread can be closed

Comment

Used it on my Fiero and pass the tough Calif emission with flying color.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4orNothing View Post
                so,,those engine cleaner that says 5 min are total crap????
                it is smart because it wont do anything and they wont be liable when you ruin your engine after all of the crap that brakes up ruins your lifters and bearings

Comment

a new question,,, oil gets thinner when it heats up,,,so,can i heat up my engine while driving and imidiately change my oil??? or seafoam will do a better job???

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4orNothing View Post
                    a new question,,, oil gets thinner when it heats up,,,so,can i heat up my engine while driving and imidiately change my oil??? or seafoam will do a better job???
                    yes, you can, but be careful, because the oil will be HOT

and it may take a tad bit longer to change.

i would not advise using seafoam in your engine unless you have a problem.

Comment

seafoam is fine to use in an engine that has no problems. i just did my 95 mark 8 when she hit 90,000 miles, there was no problems except it was idling a little high. i used it in the oil, brake booster and gas and now the idle has dropped buy 150 rpms, it runs smoother thru the rpm's and it starts 1 crank earlyer. i dont know why people think its a last chance thing, you just dont want to used it on a 130,000 mile car that hasnt been maintained well or had regular oil changes because of the chance of dislodging carbon build up that is stopping oil leaks.

Comment

seafoam is fine to use in an engine that has no problems. i just did my 95 mark 8 when she hit 90,000 miles, there was no problems except it was idling a little high. i used it in the oil, brake booster and gas and now the idle has dropped buy 150 rpms, it runs smoother thru the rpm's and it starts 1 crank earlyer. i dont know why people think its a last chance thing, you just dont want to used it on a 130,000 mile car that hasnt been maintained well or had regular oil changes because of the chance of dislodging carbon build up that is stopping oil leaks.
                        thats not true, even a well maintained engine can get dirty inside and get engine sludge.

if the engine is working fine, then why take the chance of messing it up?

if you have a transmission that shifts well, and everything is good with it, why get it flushed and take the chance of ruining it?

seafoam can and will break up the dirt in the engine, having all of that dirt circulating through the engine will cause your lifters to get clogged, ruin bearings, etc.

i see no problems using it in the cylinders or gas, but i would never use it in the crank case, and i never recommend that someone do that unless they are having a severe problem when seafoam cant make it any worse.

if you want to try and clean your engine out, then do a few frequent oil chances (every 500-1000 miles a few times) and it will clean it out without removing the "good" dirt in the engine (the dirt that is taking up the worn out gaps in your engine) having that dirt removed creates huge gaps, which then causes more wear which equals less mileage and performance.

now, with that being said, if you are going to use seafoam from day one, then by all means do it, and im sure your engine will outlast many others, but i would never do it on an engine with over 30k miles on it when the engine is fully broken in and real wear can happen

Comment

^ I agree I use it on mine evey 20,000 miles or so, keeping the carbon build up down and having no sludge build up. The car always runs better after the seafoam, I use it in the fuel tank , oil and then spray some abd let it suck in some through the TB and upper/lower intake, then after about 200 or so miles change the fuel filter and change engine oil. I figure it cleans my fuel tank, injectors reduces sludge build up (even though I use RP which works well) and I keep carbon build up down. Since I don't drive too much on the highway anymore it still runs great. The tranny I don't worry about too much I'm running syntheic fluid and tranny cooler. Same with the rearend, RP with a T/A cover W/ stud kit that holds more fluid and keeping it cooler. I run a drilled 160 Thermo with fans set to come on low so it doesn't get above 180-190 degrees. which is good for AZ heat. I like to keep my car well maintained and it keeps me driving it. Like I always learned take care of your car and it will last alot longer. Seaform is a good maintance item. I have used GTP injectors that I put in about 6 years ago that had 60,000 miles on them and I have put 45,000 + miles on them so their doing well for over 105,000 miles used injectors.
                          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                            yes, you can, but be careful, because the oil will be HOT

and it may take a tad bit longer to change.

i would not advise using seafoam in your engine unless you have a problem.
                            I always change the oil hot. Just a better change and seems to remove more old oil so there's less mixing.

Comment

Originally posted by steddy View Post
                              I always change the oil hot. Just a better change and seems to remove more old oil so there's less mixing.
                              yes, but then again, it depends on who you talk to

some people say it is better to change it cold because all of the dirt and crap is at the bottom of the engine, but when you change it hot it takes all of the settled dirt and puts it through the engine, etc.

i usually drive about 2 miles and come back home and change the oil then.. or if im lazy i will just let teh car idle for a few minutes on the ramps then change it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X